Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone know large silver coins that are from 1800-1900?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
57 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Justinokay to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know large silver coins from 1800-1900s that are worth around 20-30ish dollars?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4135 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
6740 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depending on condition, there are hundreds of types of world coins from that period costing less than $30 each.

What are you trying to do?
Edited by moxking
03/20/2017 8:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Omegaraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am Omegaraptor, the Seated Liberty Enthusiast. Some of you may recognize me. If anyone needs to know the date on a partial dated 19th Century coin, I am the person to ask.
Edited by Omegaraptor
03/20/2017 8:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1330 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been getting older silver eagles for under $30 online auctions.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinokay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am trying to getting into world silver coins besides US, but most of them a very small.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2955 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just search for "silver crown" on eBay. Nearly every country had their take on the "dollar" or "crown" or "thaler" in the 19th century. Note that they will almost universally carry a steeper premium over the equivalent amount in smaller denominations.

The Peruvian Sol is my personal favorite.
Learn about my avatar here:
http://goccf.com/t/276704
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure how large you want or condition but there are also the British India silver rupees.

Depending on date and condition you can get them fairly cheap. Here's an 1840 that sold on eBay:

"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."

-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2396 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  03:51 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The commoner dates of the Victorian Jubilee and Veiled Head British crowns of 1887-1900 should be obtainable in VG-F for around $30.
Edited by NumisRob
03/21/2017 03:52 am
Pillar of the Community
Sweden
772 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add X2an to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, apart from French 5 Francs, there are plenty of ofter 5 Franc coins to go for. Swiss 5 Franc coins (crown size, 1928-back) are nice looking, but older coins could get more expensive.

Spain has issued several different types of 5 Peseta coins featuring different kings, including an infant king and his progressive ageing caught in portraits.

IF you like different "nations", or regional issues try German Empire 5 Mark coins, they were issued for different previous German states under a unified Germay.

If you don't want to spend lots of money, there's the cheaper later Dutch 2½ Gulden coins of mainland Holland, Curacau and the Antilles (technically Suriname as well, but they have the same design, there are very small yet fine differances that differentiate them). Mainland Holland has a couple of older 2½ Gulden coins as well, dating bach to early 19th century.

Italy has also issued 5 Lira coins as well.

Mexico has an impressive bunch of crown sized coins, the famous "original dollar", or Eight Reales piece was originally issued by Spain but became a staple in the early 19th century trade, with many new pieces being minted by the Spanish Empire in Mexico. After Mexico's independence, they were issued for some time after that.

If you like more exotic coins then there are Japanese 1 Yen and Chinese 1 Yuan, or dollars (a famous example is the "fat man dollar")

This hasn't been said but it is every so important: Beware of fakes! Silver crowns tend to be especially targeted by counterfeiters. The lastly mentioned coins, the Chinese coins, are very likely to be counterfeit.

Most counterfeits and the absolute majority of fakes you will encounter looking for these coins will be cheap, bad quality steel fakes. Telltale sings are a bright, almost blueish look to the metal (silver is reactive, so most coins will be darker grey with a yellowish tint of not too dull and grey in colour), the weight (silver crowns' wweight vary around 25-28 grams, depending on the size of the crown, steel counterfeits are way below this reaching down to 18-22 grams, far lower than a genuine could would be) and the design might look "off", especially portraits tend to look ugly and unrealistic.

I don't know how much you know about the counterfeits out there, but this forum is always helpful. We've got counterfeit experts here that will help you through the authentication process.

If you decide to hunt these "offline", or if you get to hold the coins in hand, always make sure to bring a magnet.
"Always assume the lowest in value for best possibilities"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1644 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  08:25 am  Show Profile   Check Mister Kairu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/268961

Not all of the ones in my collection are from the 1800-1900 years, but I have a few and at least a list of a bunch of them. I also need to update this thread with some pics of my new purchases... good luck!
Albums in progress:
- US type set (52/76)
- World Crown set (14/48)
Want List!
http://goccf.com/t/219733#1879676
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you buy the Krause World Coins books from the appropriate centuries, you will have hours of leisurely and informative browsing. The choices in your chosen parameters may seem overwhelming.
Older editions of Krause can be found on Amazon for cheap and since these listings do not really change (except for the arbitrary valuations), there is no need to own the latest edition.
This 'crown-size' specialty is in danger of suffering from its own growing popularity. I can easily see the day coming when many of the pieces that now are quite affordable, become much less so due to increasing collector demand.
I have been pursuing these for half a dozen years and have noticed a definite uptick in asking prices and eBay competition.
Good luck.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinokay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the help.it comes down to the coins below. Vote for the coin I should buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-P-Aust...282402096922
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinokay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or lastly just a mix of coins and other stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-US-COIN...AOSwcUBYJJPb
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05