Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 s lincoln memorial cent poor mans double die? also 199 penny  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
23 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2017  10:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add redrevo117 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm a noob at identifying errors so idk

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1820 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2017  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may want to check these for markers may be 1972S-1MM-002

From what I see you Got it, Congrats!

"I'm beginning to like the taste of my feet. I find them inside my mouth continually."
Edited by Crazyb0
04/18/2017 10:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2017  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am curious about this 72-S. My first impression was MD. Looking at the pictures for 1DO-002, the die gouge by the N of IN seems to be higher than the gouge circled by Crazyb0. Then again it's very hard to discern die gouges in these pictures. The main thing I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to compare is whether the 7 is increased in size from normal. I do think that the doubling is more pronounced on redrevo117's coin, looking at the 7, whatever the cause. If this is a doubled die, I'd wonder if it's actually not 1DO-002, but a similar looking unlisted variety. Red, it might really help if you're able to get a close up picture of the date that is very squarely above those devices. Unless I'm mistaken, the camera is slightly angled in your picture. I hope others will weigh in on this. I might be overthinking it.

I saw another thread recently explaining what's going on with your 1992 cent, and if I'm remembering incorrectly, sorry -- I seem to recall this being caused by a very worn die. Folks, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2017  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redrevo117 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could I get some info on this 1972s? value? haven't heard about it before. give me a minute I will try to get a close up of the date

Edited by redrevo117
04/19/2017 12:16 am
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redrevo117 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here ya go its as close as I can get it hope it helps

Edited by redrevo117
04/19/2017 12:34 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1820 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  12:47 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That really is a fooler, it is MD, not a DDO,darn! There is no doubling showing above the curve of the 2 and the edging on the upper 7 & lower 2 is the reduction of MD. I though I saw the die dots as listed in examples I posted from http://www.coppercoins.com on both sides of Reds pix...arrrgh...

The other coin suffers from overused and polished dies, greas filled from polishing.

Red, if you check out coppercoins site, Chuck Daughter lists a dollar figure for these doubled dies and RPM's. This value is arbitrary, you'd be hard pressed to sell it for that, market's too soft, I've tried!
"I'm beginning to like the taste of my feet. I find them inside my mouth continually."
Edited by Crazyb0
04/19/2017 12:47 am
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redrevo117 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is a bummer that its a fooler I took some close ups on those spots you looking at and didnt see anything
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwoYewts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New to the forum, not sure if it was mentioned but on the 92' I believe I see a die crack stretching from the edge of Monticello, through the I in United to the rim. So if you collect die cracks redrevo, you could add this one to your collection. :)
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2017  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redrevo117 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you know I think I need to pay more attention to coins I look at I'm also new to this forum and coin hunting/collecting in general not much of a collector yet might have to look at that 92 again could be a hair I have a dog so their hair is everywhere so yeah...
Edited by redrevo117
04/19/2017 6:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like your 1992 ,don't see the LI of the LIBERTY and RUS of TRUST missing , filled die.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redrevo117 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i finally found the time to look at the link you posted crazyb0 it does look like it couldbe a 1972S-1DO-002
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1820 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  01:07 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Redrevo: Let's try this again. It's a real fooler. Pix #2= There should be a die gouge near the N, looks like a dot. pix #3 should also have gouges (dots) where circled. Now, Pix #1, there are three points marked on the double pix. 1)on your coin the line runs the length of the 7 bar, on 002 it DOES NOT. 2)There is NO doubling shown on yours above the 2, on 002 there IS. 3) On yours, the indention on the bar of 2 goes too far, 2/3 the length only 1/3 on 002. Do you see those minute differences?

There is another point as well, mintmarks are not in exact same place, this would have to be so if on same die. It CANNOT be this 002 doubled Die. Sorry. If you can prove by the markers of pix 2 & 3 exactly, then it just might be a different die state, that is farfetched tho.

Pix 1

Pix 2

Pix 3

Edited by Crazyb0
04/21/2017 01:09 am
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redrevo117 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wasnt saying it was. I was just saying it sure is tricky but yeah it doesn't have the gouges but I does have doubling on the date but upon closer inspection it isn't the same
Edited by redrevo117
04/21/2017 01:56 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05