Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Adding onto/Selling my coin collection?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  9:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ricardo Hinds to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Coin experts,

Just wondering where you guys sell your coins? I was going to use vcoins, but it seems to be a paid service, and I'm not sure if my coins are worth enough to justify the cost. E bay seems like counterfeit heaven so I'm not sure if I would like to sell on there. I have several thousand coins I would like to sell (buy them in bulk while traveling and have only recently gotten around to categorizing them and doing a valuation). What type of information would you include when selling a coin? I find ancients roman and Jewish coins especially difficult to classify. Where do you buy your coins? How do auctions work for especially valuable coins? How long does it take on average for you to sell a coin?

Many Thanks,

Rick Hinds
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2658 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Rick, I see that you have lots of questions. Undoubtedly, you will get lots of answers to your post, but some answers have already been nicely encapsulated elsewhere on CCF. For example, you may find this article interesting:

http://www.coincommunity.com/apprai...ur-Coins.asp

"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1870 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  01:16 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
any venue that will yield decent results will be a paid service.
any venue that is not a paid service will yield lessor results.

eBay is the quickest way to liquidate and has a huge audience. while it has it's share of counterfeits - 99.99999% of sales are legit and it's safe place to do business for both seller and buyer
(more so the buyer, but if seller's follow the rules - ie tracked shipping - there is nothing to worry about)

auction houses may or may not yield better results, but it comes down to months instead of your choice 3,5,7 or 10 days (ebay)

Edited by Wade
04/21/2017 01:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1820 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  01:25 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wade, both agree and disagree. eBay does work well and if you have the patience can reap good rewards. I have consigned to on-line auctions and have had pretty good results. Most auction houses do charge a fee, but it is both a buyers and sellers fee. That's how they make their money. The more they work to make your item gleem, the more you and they make. Last auction did this way actually sold off more than I bought, got a check for $5 too.

Once you have enough posts, list some here, I've been buying and trading with CCf members, kinda fun.
"I'm beginning to like the taste of my feet. I find them inside my mouth continually."
Valued Member
United Kingdom
160 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  07:48 am  Show Profile   Check TobyJ's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do think eBay is the best for selling coins, but it depends on your photography skills! Ability to ship worldwide etc. A coin will not make its value without very very clear photos.
If this is perhaps too time consuming, perhaps it would be worth finding a very reputable auction-house that will do all the sorting and photography for you, of course you'll end up paying about 20% of the final selling figures, about double what eBay may charge you probably, but they will catalogue and do everything for you, saving you a great deal of hassle. I buy at Tennants in England, and they get much better prices than eBay sometimes.
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln
Pillar of the Community
Canada
643 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
E bay seems like counterfeit heaven

Why are you worrying about counterfeit coins? You are selling coins. Not buying them.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
12426 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My collection will go to public auction, not too long before or after I kick the bucket.
That is the instruction I have given my kids, but they can take for themselves whatever they may please before sending to auction.

The cash raised would make a nice reduction in their mortgages, and that makes me happy. They would tax free save on reduced interest payments and as well as completely owning their homes a little sooner, and thus benefiting on capital growth of their homes a little sooner as well.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ricardo Hinds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why are you worrying about counterfeit coins? You are selling coins. Not buying them.
I would like to also add onto my collection. Up until this point I have just been collecting coins as I go along: I would like to find a proper medium for buying and selling coins. Thank you all for your replies, they are all very much appreciated
Learn More...
United States
41842 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had the same thought.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05