Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unidentified Silver Coin (1700's)? small with Letters "s....n....in"  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
51 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  9:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rpuckett to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently received this coin and cannot identify it. A coin expert in Florida said it needed to go to a TPG but he thought it could possibly be from the 1700's. he also mentioned something about George Washingtons personal silver pieces used to mint some of the first coinage.
It is slightly larger that an 1835 half dime however it was the same weight at 1.3. the coin is silver.
I am not sure which side is the obverse or reverse because the coin is so worn.
However, there are several letters that I can make out.
One side shows an "s" "n" "in"

Any ideas would be great. This is a stumper!

Edited by Rpuckett
04/20/2017 10:56 pm
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm feeling a 1700's early 1800's half real? the design elements match along with the little remaining lettering.(weight is also close)
Loruca
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rpuckett to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you,
I will look that coin up and see if it matches.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pistareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to say Ferdinand VII picayune (Medio / half real) circa 1809 - 1812 that circulated for a long time. It could have gotten fifty years of circulation in North America but even longer circulation in Mexico. I might give it a century of circulation to look like it does. Think of the time of Pancho Villa for it to finally drop from circulation. For all the history it has seen, most of its monetary value has worn away over many decades of use. It served its purpose.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8768 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I want to say Ferdinand VII picayune (Medio / half real) circa 1809 - 1812 that circulated for a long time.

I am pretty sure you are spot on. The last pictures needs to be rotated, but the visible letters line up well with HISPAN ET IND, and the size comparison matches up with a 1/2 real. For the portrait, only one 1/2 real seems to match the hairline and bottom clothing line, which is Mexico's Fernando VII (see here). Numista says these coins were made from 1808 to 1814, but this coin looks too worn to tell which it is.

Now, I would recommend not sending this coin to a TPG for two reasons: the first is that, if the last digit of the date it not visible, this coin is too worn to be properly identified; the second reason is that this is a Details coin due to the multiple gauges. A dateless Details coin would definitely not be worth the grading fees.
Edited by Joseph7420
04/21/2017 3:03 pm
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mariash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Using my superpowers, I made a tentative outline of you coin, trying to trace what may be higher surviving relief. Using this, I placed it over images of coins. The spanish coins do seem to fit best. They are some of the few that have letters under the bust. Still, it's hard to counter-extrapolate erosion...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2678 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice detective work @pistareen and amazing comparative work @mariash!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing Mariash... Great job!
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mariash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! That was fun! I didn't have info on proper sizes, but I thought if I could identify the figure...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05