Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question - Grading a 1955-S Dime  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Celtic33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone. I'm new to the hobby having inherited a few coins from a relative. I'm trying to get an idea of how some of the coins would be graded.

Would anyone be able to tell me how they might grade this 1955-S Dime?

Sorry for the picture quality - if anyone can give me advice on how to take the best pictures of coins (lighting, background, angle, etc.) I'd appreciate it!

Thanks very much for the help.

Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  03:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

higher resolution photo will be needed for better opinion, but I will guess at MS65 or MS64 with the photos that you posted.

Edited by Coconutjoe
04/21/2017 03:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5434 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even with the fuzzy photos , your Dime looks like about MS-64 .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Celtic33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Is grading more of a gut feeling or are there specific things that you look at to add/subtract points? Also, any advice on how to take a better quality picture? I used my iPhone 7 for these but could use a real camera if that would work better. Thanks again for the feedback.
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Celtic33, grading is a codified but imprecise (i.e. somewhat subjective) measurement using the Sheldon scale. You can check out more about them here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/She...rading_scale

http://www.PCGS.com/grades/

The PCGS link has images for reference so you can get a better visual sense of the differences between grades. They also offer an app called Photograde that has images for each coin type in a similar fashion.

Coin photography can be a little tough to get right. There is a subforum here dedicated to it if you'd like to browse through that.

http://goccf.com/f/81

The main goals will be making sure your picture is in focus directly above the coin or area of interest, avoiding glare, and cropping your photograph to eliminate irrelevant context. A darker background may be worth a try, and you can try diffusing or bouncing your light source, though the folks in the photography forum should have much better advice than what I can give.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.
Edited by Oijogja
04/21/2017 09:59 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12676 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need sharper pics on this.

to the CCF!
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05