Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1915D Wheat Cent - Rim Issue - Proof? - RPM?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2695 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I will apologize ahead of time if this ends up being a waste of time. But - I have questions.

Also, want to mention that the coin isn't going to look the best being that the USB light is washing out the color and luster. It is gorgeous (to me I guess) deep brown, tons of mint luster and like you should be able to see from the photos it tons of detail on the high points which usually wear down first. Some level of AU I would expect.

1. Is there such a thing as a 1915-D Proof? The rim appears much flatter than the cents that I normally search. This came to me in a bag of wheats that I got many years ago. Every now and then I go back through them to see what I find with the new things that I learn.

2. the planchet is thinner on the left side than from the right side. See marked photos for my measurements. And the rim is sunken in the the middle of the left side of the con. from the middle of the bust starting lightly then by liberty the most sunken part and then leveling out again by the WE.

3. I don't do mink marks because my eyes are not good enough. Any chance this might be an RPM?

4. The rim area on the right - I assume this is damage but please take a look because I am not seeing any other issues in that area - so not sure how it would have occurred.

So here it is. Thanks a bunch for your time.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RedBook doesn't list any 1915-D Proofs. It says they were all minted in Philly that year...just over 1100 of them.

So my guess is you have a regular business strike 1915-D LWC with rim damage. Not sure what caused the rim damage but it definitely looks like PMD.

As for an RPM...I'm a newbie at finding those as well. Is there a line running down center inside the "D"? Can't see that part too well in photo.
Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
Edited by MontCollector
04/21/2017 12:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2695 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is as close as I can get, I don't see any line though.

Oh well, thanks for checking.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2123 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  01:50 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No it's not a proof, reverse has beveled rim, true, front die may have been, or just heavy hit.

No not a D/D...interestingly enough it seems to be the original punch MM that the die maker attempted to "straighten out" by a second MM punch. Location is an exact match but the OP's is rotated CW, very interesting.

I'm thinking this is a very early die state, one of the first hits on a die, even see it through the wear.
"I'm beginning to like the taste of my feet. I find them inside my mouth continually."
Edited by Crazyb0
04/21/2017 01:55 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking the MM placement looked right. But now that I see the tilt in the and that there is no line through the center I would say nope not an RPM.

Darn close though.
Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin had been an encased cent. Being pressed into the bezel or charm caused the flattened rim and sunken edge . The value of the coin was destroyed when removed from the charm.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CrazybO , I may have interpreted your post incorrectly but untill 1990 all cent mintmarks were punched into each individual working die and repunched after the die was anneaed to deepen the design . It's just happenstance that rpm #1 and this dies mm placement aligned so closely
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2123 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stoneman, exactly. What I was wondering is if OP's MM was the actual worlking master hubbed die where a die technician may possibly noticed a tilted MM and tried to correct it on that master die. Possible, yes, probable, NO. Just entertaining a possibility since placement is that exact. This is one of my many ways of determining the authenticity and attribution of RPM's
"I'm beginning to like the taste of my feet. I find them inside my mouth continually."
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24217 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That last question just gives me a headache when I read it.

Denver mint never struck proof coins.

The mint marks are added after the hubbing of die pre 1990 coins. (Philly didn't have a mint mark on cents until 2017 with a 'P' on them)

Looks like the coin was damaged. PSD
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/21/2017 4:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2695 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to give you a headache coop . So the variation in the planchet thickness is from PSD?

Thank you all for your time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thought is your coin was encased much like my 1909 is here. While in the holder it has a collector value. Out of the holder it is simply damaged.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2695 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I need to find a coin holder of some sort that will compliment the coin. Where do you get a nicer one at?
Any Idea's?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05