Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I found a quarter in a change dispense at a store  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
70 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  10:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KittenLove to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
At first glance I thought it was a token. Any info about this coin? Should I keep it or use as junk change.
Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks plated. These are commonly sold by TV hucksters and have no added value. It is worth saving as a curiosity however.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KittenLove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what is a TV Hucksters? LOL
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3049 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TV Hucksters are those annoying talking heads trying to part you from your hard-earned money by selling you overpriced junk (non-stick cook wear that sticks, cleaners that don't clean, exercise equipment you'll never use and hyped up coin collectibles that are worth no more than face value).

They ply their junk on late nite tv infomercials because the airtime is cheaper then. They target those that can't sleep or have no life.

Buying from them just encourages them to do it more.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1277 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It's a gold plated quarter, not worth much in terms of the gold but a fun find anyway. I don't remember who did these; could have been one of the QVC or "Independent Mints" but they come under the heading of Post Mint Damage or Enhancement (depending on whether you like that kind of thing).

I'd hold onto it just because it's different!
- I've been collecting Lincoln cents for about two score and seven years & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, etc.
- I've also completed MS sets of Jeffersons and Franklins and I enjoy the hunt for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.

ANA Lifer #: 6565
Learn More...
United States
42629 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, gold plated and usually sold to the uninformed as "special collector issues" or some other elaborate name. Most often on TV via shop-at-home channels or late night commercials.

It cost you a quarter, so consider yourself lucky and keep it as a fun find.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KittenLove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for all the info about TV and I will keep just because it is different
Learn More...
United States
42629 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4552 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's one on eBay right now - they are trying for $2.10 plus $1 shipping.
Littleton Coin Company sells them for $4.50 -- they want $2.50 for the regular (unplated) quarter, plus shipping I assume.

Pillar of the Community
United States
856 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keepcalmandcoinon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Westernsky- your description of a tv salesman is spot on. And hilarious.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add praetorian2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 2 similar quarters. Utah and Massachusetts. Found them when I was counting down a register a few years ago. I know they're not worth more than 25 cents each but I kept them because they're interesting.
Learn More...
United States
42629 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know they're not worth more than 25 cents each but I kept them because they're interesting.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05