Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

State Quarter Rotated Die. Common or Rare?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Amos334 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a 1999 quarter with a rotated die. I've seen a bunch of Deleware quarters found with this error. I have found a New Jersey with the rotated error. Is this a rare enough coin deserving grading at all? It's not in perfect condition but, it looks pretty good.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18380 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take a 2x2 staple type holder, and run a straight inkpen line from the 12k to 6k and 3k to 9k. Put a coin in it and close the holder with a small paperclip. Then flip to see if it is a rotated coin and by how much.In this case, post coin pics in the holder.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 4+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
04/21/2017 12:48 pm
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amos334 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't buy those kind of flips. I have the plastic flips. I cut a hole in some paper and drew numbers around the coin to mimic what you mean. Numbers are upside down on the back but you get the idea.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18380 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the reverse, the 12 should be at the top. It makes it easier to figure out.What degree do you think it is off?
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you flipping on the vertical or horizontal axis? You should be flipping along the horizontal axis to determined how much a die is rotated.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amos334 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I know that I wasn't clear. I was not flipping it over in the pictures I was turning it around horizontally from side to side. I rewrote the numbers in the back to make sense more. New Jersey suppose to be lined up to the number 6. It's at the 4 o'clock position. I do not know terms about this I just found it and knew I finally found an error. Would it be valuable?

Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to flip top to bottom. So if you're holding the quarter upright, the top of Washington's head comes towards you. There should be something on YouTube that shows how to do it. Looking at your last set of images, you are flipping from side to side, like the pages of a book or like spinning a globe. This isn't the right way. I can guess an angle, but if you could grab a picture spinning top to bottom, it'd be easier.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18380 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post an edge pic please?
John1
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amos334 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the video I watched it is a 45 degree rotation. Here are my updated pictures . As proper as I can photo them. Also the edge picture requested.

Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe slightly greater than 45 degrees. Fifty or more? Nice! It would be called 50 degrees CCW (counter clockwise) rotation.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amos334 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay awesome, the more the better. I thought it was a nice quarter to have this rotation error. I think I'll send it in for grading just so it's on record and maybe it'll be worth a few bucks. I'm glad I finally found something haha.
Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eh, I still wouldn't send it in for grading. Even though it's a neat error, I'm not sure the value exceeds the cost of grading. If I had that coin and I wanted to sell it, I'd just give it an acetone dip and get it into a cardboard 2x2. That would allow prospective buyers to better gauge degree of rotation. If it was an uncirculated coin, then I'd agree with sending it to a TPG, but since it's circulated, I wouldn't. You can post in the grading forums to get an idea of its grade. I'm not too familiar with the series, but I'd guess XF/AU range?
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amos334 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I'll get some opinions on the possible grading of the coin and see what it may grade out as. I have seen maybe 5-10 Deleware Quarters with rotated dies on eBay and auction sites but, I have seen only one New Jersey with this rotation anywhere and nothing mentions it as being a error coin to look for. I wonder if it's actually more valuable because no one has really seen these as much or just haven't looked at them. Is this error for this Quarter a common thing or possibly rare?! The coin on the link here looks about the same condition and rotation as mine. Someone bought it for $60.00 acording to the link. It looks like it was graded and sold like ten years ago is my guess. Check out the link to compare mine to it.

https://sullivannumismatics.com/pro...es-ccw-au-58
Edited by Amos334
04/22/2017 8:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2514 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent Find - Congratulations!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, I believe yours will grade lower. I didn't put a number guess on the thread because I'm not super familiar with the series, but my gut feeling is it'll fall between XF40 and AU50, maybe AU 53? (I'll pop back to that thread to check after I finish this post.)

It's not listed as an error to look out for because it can happen to any coin during any given year. It stems from how it happens. (For some error reading in general, I would recommend http://www.error-ref.com/ If you wanted something quicker, you could look at the wikipedia page on mint errors, but that's far less comprehensive.) Anyway, there are three dies that are used in the minting of any coin: obverse die, reverse die, and collar. A rotated die error occurs when the hammer die rotates and ends up striking a coin with two faces that are not 180 degrees from each other.

Most of the cherrypick guides list varieties that are created by a flaw or quirk on the die itself -- like a doubled die or oddly placed die gouge. Rotated dies fall into the category of errors that happen by chance, like die cracks or die clashes. As for value, I would go with whatever eBay has in recent sale history. I wouldn't necessarily look for a NJ quarter, just a Washington quarter or statehood quarter. I have a 30 degree CCW rotated JFK half dollar, and those are uncommon enough on eBay that I wasn't even bothering with looking for the same year mint mark -- any rotated die half would have sufficed for comparison purposes. (Also, your coin isn't graded, so it wouldn't go for as much as your linked example.) Working off that price point alone, if I was selling, I would list it with a buy it now price of $40-50 (hoping for a walk up sucker) but also enable best offers and see what the market demand is. I'll hop over to eBay and price compare there.

Just finished looking at eBay. Results inconclusive. I searched " Washington quarter rotated die" and saw four listings. The last two don't look like rotated dies. The first two derive the bulk of their value from their grade and holder. I'm too lazy to delve further in and see what premium can be assigned to the die rotation.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2017  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amos334 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I was stoked to make this find.

Okay in my head I was thinking maybe AU-55. Considering I've never attempted grading anything I am not comfortable making any kind of guess haha.

Man, I have a lot of reading and learning to do about errors. It makes sense when you put it that way. Thanks for actually explaining it for me and anyone else that happens to pop in on this thread. Nonetheless, I'm happy with the find so I may hang on to it for now but, it makes sense to see the going rate on eBay of similar coins and judge the price from there. Thanks for looking into it and helping me out. I appreciate the info.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05