Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 steel penny found  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2017  10:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stevenswld to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a 1944 steel penny in a house I bought back in September of 2014. I did some research and found that I needed to weight it and check to see if it is magnetic. I checked it with a magnet and it does stick to the magnet. I then weighed it and it weighs 2.79 grams.
I have attached pictures of the front and back. I would appreciated any comments about it's value.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3049 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2017  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might as well send it in for professional authentication and grading. Until that happens the coin for all intent and purpose will be deemed to have "questionable authenticity".

The value, if genuine, is a lot.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2017  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is highly unlikely a $100,000 penny would have been left around in your house by the previous house owner. How about a close up pictures of front and back.
"Life is half over before you kinda know what it is..."
"So hurry up and collect those coins, and enjoy life..."
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2017  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Illegaltender to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for doing the proper research and checking the weight.

With *quality* pictures, we could help you out.
If genuine, it is worth a lot. I assume you know this, but no cleaning or scratching of the coin in question. Keep it in a safe place.
oh, and to the forum!
Oldest finds:
Cent 1912, Nickel 1916, Dime 1942, Quarter 1963
Dollar 1971, Dollar Bill 1957, Canadian Cent 1926
Pillar of the Community
United States
2749 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2017  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

Is that rust or Copper showing through?

A Steel cent should weigh 2.7 grams.

You could do a home specific gravity test on it, which is fairly accurate. The directions for such a test can be found here: http://www.lincolncentsonline.com/C...%20Zinc.html
Edited by cwb
05/18/2017 11:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3456 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2017  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Find a large coin or bullion store with an XRF and asked if they will xray it for you
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1873 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2017  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent walk-through cwb!

Thanks for the weight and magnetism info stevenswld! That saves a lot of back-and-forth here.

To me, those red spots look like rust. If it were copper, that suggests a zinc-plated (or nickel-plated for the magnetism) copper cent that would weigh more. However, the specific gravity test mentioned above is definitely the next step before spending money on TPGs.

It seems you already have a scale capable of reading 1/100g. The rest is simple if you follow the link's instructions. The only thing I'm concerned about is that if it is a steel cent with existing rust, take care to dry it after dipping in water.

Don't wipe it. Either dab with a clean cloth or better yet, maybe use a hairdryer (no heat, just air). After that, make sure it's stored in a dry, cool and safe place.

This would certainly be an extraordinary find!
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."

-Carl Sagan
Edited by spruett001
05/19/2017 12:01 am
Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are one of a very few to have found such a rare coin in the last 72 years or so. You absolutely need to follow the advice on this forum and pay the cost to send it in for validation once you have determined that it is not a fake copy. I am pretty sure no one here will buy it until it is validated.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4283 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the coin is absolutely counterfeiter..the extreme lack of detail in Lincoln, missing design elements in his coat and throat, as well and the mushy look, the odd rims and high state of preservation all lead me to conclude it is a Chinese counterfeit and not a good one at that..better pictures will help the community assist you.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 17 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12480 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it doesn't look real. Question what does the edge look like? Can you see the layers of zinc and steel or is it all one color?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  11:56 am  Show Profile   Check ChildOfTheWheat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I vote fake as well, die struck counterfiet.
Just my humble opinion.
Remember: Change is good, especially when it's a Wheat penny
ANA Number 3181904
Pillar of the Community
United States
2749 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
During 1944, the mint used the same planchets that were used the previous year to strike the 1943 Steel cents, to stike foreign coins. This could be the reason the 1944 Steel cents exist, it could simply be a case of a US cent struck on a foreign planchet. A big BUT here, collectors don't seem to let this fact affect the price of the 1944 Steel cents, they are priced as a transitional error being struck on 1943 Steel planchets.

Quote:
12. The 1944 Belgium 2 franc coins were struck at the US mint using the same planchets used for the 1943 Steel Lincoln cents. http://www.lincolncentsonline.com/I...20Facts.html

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3049 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to say that your story "of found in a house I bought in 2014" is most likely bogus. If you truly researched it over the past 3 years you'd have discovered that the coin ---IF REAL --- was worth a lot of money. You would have by now figured out that you needed professional expertise in authenticating and marketing of your very valuable coin. If it was real it would have been sent in for authentication a long time ago. So you now magically show up here, almost 3 years after "finding" your valuable coin looking for help? That doesn't make sense. I'd bet 10$ to a donut that your coin originally came from some sidestreet vendor in China. Sorry, but that's fhe way I see it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13441 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, fake.

to the CCF!
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10082 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, stevenwld but, I agree with westernsky.
True North
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
17068 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So you now magically show up here, almost 3 years after "finding" your valuable coin looking for help

He didn't say he found it in 2014, he said he bought the house in 2014.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05