Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Edward silver penny Canterbury mint 2  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
151 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  05:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

And here's my other one:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4878 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This reminds me of the "Smiling King" type of Class 14 (Spink 1460); if so, it is scarce, and was actually minted during the early part of Edward II's reign.
Adam (Paralyse)
ANA #3181967 - EAC #6338 - TNA - SSDC L/M
Washington 25c - Colonials - Early Copper - Morgans - VAMs...
Valued Member
United Kingdom
151 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2017  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thank you Adam, I see the similarities between this and Spink 1460.
How scarce? The book value is basically the same as some of the common types.
I appreciate your input and am making notes as we go. I'll post the next two pennies for you to have a look at in a few minutes….
Edited by Hogarth
05/21/2017 05:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4878 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2017  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is scarcer than, say, Class 10 pennies, but there is not a substantial premium.

There is some debate about which coins were struck while Edward I lived (to 1307) and which were struck thereafter during the early reign of Edward II but without a change in the design or legends.

Coins of Edward I & II share the same obverse legends, both with the King's name given as "EDWA", and there were only a few different types of hammered pennies struck during his short and eventful 20 year reign, many fewer than were struck under Edward I.

The coins of Edward III were much more plentiful in number and type.
Adam (Paralyse)
ANA #3181967 - EAC #6338 - TNA - SSDC L/M
Washington 25c - Colonials - Early Copper - Morgans - VAMs...
Edited by paralyse
05/21/2017 10:51 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
151 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Very helpful, thank you, it's all being jotted down for my reference.
With early milled I really know my stuff, but these hammered pennies are unchartered waters for me and I've picked them up cheaply over the years without knowing all that much about them.
I posted images of another two yesterday ('Another two Eddie silver pennies'). Please do have a look at those also if you have the time, it would be greatly appreciated.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05