Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seated Liberty Half Dollar Curiosity....  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2440 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  12:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm hoping to find out what everyone's thoughts are on this 1854-O Seated Liberty Half. The obverse appears to have doubling, especially around Liberty's head but elsewhere as well.

The reverse has what appears to be a lamination at the 10 o'clock position.

Thoughts? Has anyone seen this before in this series? I'm not as versed on the Seated Liberty coinage and am hoping the experts here can help me out.

Thanks! Sorry for the large image size but I wanted to be sure to capture what I'm talking about.

ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12236 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The device doubling is a known design issue and the reverse does indeed have a lamination.

Quote:
“Halos” can often be found around the stars, digits in the date, arrowheads, and often around the central devices (see photo at right). Sometimes unofficially called “Longacre doubling,” a term coined by J.T. Stanton and inappropriately applied by others to Liberty Seated coinage designed by Christian Gobrecht, it is the doubling often seen on coins designed by James B. Longacre. This doubling is a secondary image of the design appearing on all sides of a design element. Although various theories abound as to what caused this doubling, this doubling is commonly found on half dollars of many dates and is not and should not be confused with doubled dies and repunched dates. I believe this doubling was caused when the temporary master die was heavily impressed with all the design elements such that a halo became part of the temporary master die. Consequently, these halos transferred to the working hub, subsequent working dies, and finally the half dollars themselves.

Source: A Register of Liberty Seated half dollar Varieties Volume IV New Orleans Branch Mint 1853-O WA to 1861-O By Bill Bugert
http://lsccweb.org/BillBugertBooks/...NO-Part2.pdf

ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
2440 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks biokemist! That was very helpful!
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8649 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Moe145's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With Biochemist.

It does appear to be a lamination on your reverse too!
Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://goccf.com/t/108352#108352
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13376 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same, I think we all fall in line behind biochemist.
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuffaloNuts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this device doubling the same and what I am seeing on my SL dime? Not sure if I see halos or not... My photography need work too...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2440 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure BN. I think I see some but I'll wait for others to chime in.
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Edited by srs77
05/19/2017 9:10 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05