Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 National Bicentennial Medal

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  6:58 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hagarwon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a 1.5" dia 1976 National Bicentennial Medal with an eagle on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other side. The little write up that came with it from the mint says that they made gold and gold-clad. How can I tell which this coin is?

Learn More...
United States
21618 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2008  10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not familiar with these. Clads usually show their "core" layer by viewing the edge.

Pictures?
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2008  10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can find no listing for a 1976 Commemorative......gold or clad...

However, there is a 1986 $5.00 gold coin with an Eagle and Statue of Liberty on obverse and reverse.......
Could this be your coin?.......
Otherwise your coin may be a "private mint" piece of work.
Edited by eaglefoot
08/21/2008 10:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1183 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2008  11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does your coin look like the one described on the following web site?

http://www.coinpage.com/coin-image-2885.html

1976 National Bicentennial Commemorative Medal
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Learn More...
United States
21618 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2008  11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He said it was a 1976 National Bicentennial Medal. I know the US Mint makes medals, I am just not familiar with them. I am sure someone here is.

Maybe this questions is better asked in the Token, Medal, and other Exonumia Forum?
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2008  11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is !......
goldncoins.com/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=251

Quote:
Small 1976 Gold National Bicentennial Medal $495.00

The only official national gold medal struck by the United States Mint for the Bicentennial. The obverse features a handsome design of the Statue of Liberty, engraved by the Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint, Frank Gasparro. It carries the dual date 1776-1976 and the words "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness." The border is ringed by 50 stars. The reverse features the Eagle from the Great Seal of the United States, with the inscriptions "American Revolution Bicentennial" above and "We the People" below. The coin is in beautiful condition, with a nice cameo contrast on both sides. Only 16,181 of these medals were minted, and an undetermined number of those were melted in the late 1970s for their bullion content. This medal weighs 12.9 grams of .900 fine Gold. It is 23mm in diameter and comes with its original cherrywood box with velvet lining, informational booklet and outer protective cardboard box. This is truly a scarce historical item.

Except this is 23 mm in diameter.........
Edited by eaglefoot
08/21/2008 11:55 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2008  12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
www.usps.com/judicial/1986deci/22-165dd.htm
interesting "court case" with a company selling these .....don't have time to read all of this, but might be worth seeing if there are "counterfeits" out there or not.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2008  04:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hanchom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how much could The official Bicentinnial Day Coin along with official book from 1976 with authentic signatures From The president, vice president, secutary of state and entire cabinet be worth?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2008  08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hagarwon.......

I'm sure yours is 100%......forget that court case, I read that article and it is just about shady deals with these back then......not affecting whether it's counterfeit or not.

Your question about how to tell if it's plated or solid........with gold.......hmmmmm
Post up some pics ...obverse and reverse
If Hanchom would also post some pics of his coin and any info that comes with it.....the comparison could be a revealing tool.
Edited by eaglefoot
08/22/2008 08:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2008  08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hanchom......
I found that coin on a webpage.......goldcoins.com......that company is selling this coin.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2008  11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hagarwon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for the information. I'll take some pics and post them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2008  11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bonedigger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple, perhaps they are similar? Also, Greetings and Welcome to the forum

Ben

Edited by Bonedigger
08/22/2008 11:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2008  6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bonedigger.....
But he said....
Quote:
1976 National Bicentennial Medal with an eagle on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other side

And "goldcoins.com" does have this coin for sale on their website.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2011  01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My father left me his vast lifelong collection of coins and I was wondering about this one 1776-1976 bicentennial coin
obverse side shows 3 men, 2 of them playing a drum and the other playing a what looks like a flute. top of coin reads United States of America. bottom reads 1776 Bicentennial 1976

reverse side is a bald eagle with a waiving american flag behind him. top of coin says United States Bicentennial, bottom just has 1776-1976
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2011  2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In response to the original question, the easiest way to tell gold from gold clad would be weights, which should be published somewhere.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2011  12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add boltonbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The .900 fine gold medal is only 23 mm in diameter. The gold plated medal is 1.5 inches in diameter.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05