Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

U.S. Customhouse coin ? | US Mint medal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2009  8:09 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Blue_oxen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I know it can be hard to read the front sys U.S. CUSTOMHOUSE YOURKTOWN VIRGINIA and is dated 1706

any ideas?

Identified - moved to Medal forum - Sap

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2009  11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does the building still exist as a museum? Might be a souvenir token.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11122 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2009  11:57 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

That is a US Mint produced bronze medal, I am not sure of its year of mintage but it is relatively modern. I did find something interesting on a website about the Custom House-

Quote:
In 1972, the United States Customs Service designated the Custom House at Yorktown as one of twelve Historic Custom Houses in the United States.

With that in mind, I would guess that the Mint had a series of medals commemorating those historic Custom Houses in 1972 or so.

Edit: I did find a document referencing the sale of the first medal in the series in a 3" size, it went on sale August 1, 1973 for the price of $5.25 through mail order. Your design in the smaller 1 1/2" size would have been issued sometime after that date.
http://www.usmint.gov/historianscor...oc=pr456.doc
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
08/22/2009 12:26 am
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2009  12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blue_oxen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found another one these are kinda neat maybe I will try to put together a complete set. If I can figure out what a compleat set is still cant find any information on the one I have.

["Department of the TREASURY NEWS" banner, with "The Department of the Treasury 1789" seal on right and "U.S. CUSTOMS SERVICE; WASH., D.C. 20229 - 202-964-2475" on 2nd line.]

FOR RELEASE UPON RECEIPT

May 20, 1974

FOURTH MEDAL IN U.S. CUSTOMS SERIES

HONORS WHEELING, WEST VIRGINIA, CUSTOMHOUSE

The fourth in a series of medals commemorating historic customhouses in the United States has been struck by the Treasury Department's Bureau of the Mint in collaboration with the U.S. Customs Service.

The medal features the U.S. Customhouse in Wheeling, West Virginia, locally known as West Virginia Independence Hall. It will be presented to officials of the West Virginia Independence Hall Foundation, Inc., during a U.S. Customs Service bicentennial ceremony on May 23, 1974.

The Wheeling Customhouse is depicted on the obverse side and the seal of the U.S. Customs Service is on the reverse of the 1-5/16-inch miniature bronze medal. It was designed by Philip E. Fowler of the Philadelphia Mint.

The medal will be sold locally by the West Virginia Independence Hall Foundation, Inc. It will be available at the customhouse following the 2 p.m. presentation ceremony, and at all banks in Wheeling.

The medal, along with three earlier ones in the series which depict Georgetown (Washington, D.C.), Boston, and San Francisco Customhouses, are available at the Bureau of the Mint's exhibit and sales areas in Philadlphia, Denver, San Francisco, and at the Treasury Department in Washington, D.C., for 50 cents. They may be ordered by mail through the San Francisco Mint, 55 Mint Street, San Francisco, California 94175 for 60 cents each. A 3-inch bronze medal of the Georgetown Customhouse is also available in the Mint's sales and exhibit areas for $5.00, and through the mail for $5.25.

Taken from http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...t=clnk&gl=us
Edited by Blue_oxen
08/22/2009 12:33 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05