Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 On Line Coin Auction Discussion Forums
 eCommerce | eBay, eCrater, Heritage, Paypal, etc.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

PayPal "gift" option?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
USArmyParatrooper
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  04:59 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add USArmyParatrooper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Someone informed me you can send money as a "gift" to avoid charging the recipient PayPal fees. Can any of you confirm this and elaborate? Is this true for any dollar amount?

I'm soon going to be putting a few coins up for sale on Coincommunity ranging in price from $65 to $650. It would nice to avoid PayPal fees and have the funds sent as a "gift." What are the downsides to this? One of the top of my head is that it would remove 'buyer protection.' But I already know I'm not out to screw anyone over, and if the buyer trust me - is there any other downside?

Edited by USArmyParatrooper
01/18/2010 05:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1177 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  05:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience when sending money as a gift, by default, the box is ticked so that you as the sender is picking up the PayPal fees for the monies arriving into the other person's PayPal account.

I use this option when purchasing items from people where they have not included the PayPal fee in their price.

No aware of any downside.

I probably have more trust in purchasing from a person here on CCF than a faceless person on eBay.

This has been my experience.

Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts, especially those people who have done quite a bit of selling on here.

Ken
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  05:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add USArmyParatrooper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah! So the only difference is the buyer picks up the fees instead of the seller?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
884 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  08:44 am  Show Profile Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe if you send a gift using paypal there are no fees to either party.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deadmunny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think murty is right. This begs the question, how does Paypal make any money when we use the gift option? My buyers have been using it a lot.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1934 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  10:59 am  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pretty certain the sender pays the fees (although, if I remember correctly, they seemed lower than the normal Paypal fees). I've only done this once and it was a while ago, so I may be mistaken.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
752 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  11:05 am  Show Profile Check nolawyer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nolawyer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that there are only fees if the sender is funding the transaction with a credit card with the gift option. If the sender uses money in his paypal balance or from a bank account, there are no fees to either party when using the gift option.
Please visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/lukescoins
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dollarcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent money to my parents using the gift option. I believe there was no fee associated with it.

However, if a person uses the gift option to purchase coins, the PayPal is not responsible for the transaction when there is something wrong.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1177 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the answer is, it depends:

Personal Transfer

Free when the money comes from PayPal balance or bank account.

2.9% + $0.30 USD when the money comes from a debit or credit card or PayPal Credit.

(the sender decides who pays this fee)

Additional fees for cross border payments and currency conversion.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...fees-outside

Ken
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3662 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the experiences I've had, Paypal don't do anything for nothing.

If the sender elects to send the funds as a gift, there's a small button checked that says, I'll pay the fee, if you uncheck this button, the receiver has to pay the fee.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2010  5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the Gift option is free as long as the senders paypal account is linked to a bank account, I have sent money for a few things like this and neither party gets charged
Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2010  02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the main catch is just that you don't get protection, so you have to make sure you can trust the person. I have no problems doing it with sellers I know well.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1934 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2010  07:49 am  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is linked to my bank account. Perhaps, as Nancy's experience sounded like mine, it has something to do with being outside the US?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1086 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2010  08:49 am  Show Profile Check weerdsteev's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add weerdsteev to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife and I each have a PayPal account. I found that I could transfer funds between the two without getting charged fees by using the "cash advance" option. I always wondered if this was because Paypal could tell that both parties had the same last name and the same address or if they simply don't charge fees when you choose "cash advance"....? Perhaps we could test this out. Anybody wanna send me some money using the "cash advance" option...?
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2010  12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is what the website says
Within the US (in USD):
Payment Method
Personal transfers to friends and family
Fully funded by:
PayPal balance or Bank account

Send:Free Receive: Free

Outside the US (in USD):
Payment Method
Personal transfers to friends and family Fully funded by:
PayPal balance
Bank account 0.5% to 2% -- varies by recipient's country.
Fee is paid by the sender or recipient-sender decides.
United States
13868 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2010  6:12 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I accept as "gift" only with NO fees.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05