Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this a good place to Metal Detect?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  10:02 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add SilverTurtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

My Grandpa owns a Farm, which has been lived on for a long period of time. Not only are there fields to search, but there are also some woods on his property. Would this be a good place to tackle with a detector?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely yes, to start with.

If it was a few miles from a town with a bank, it is possible that people buried their savings right in the yard somewhere. Favoured places were usually by fenceposts within seeing distance from the house. Former outhouse pits can sometimes yield jewellery and coins, as can the pathway to the outhouse.

Not only metal detecting is great in these kinds of places. Find where the garbage pile was too; usually this was throwing distance from the back porch. There you can find such things as collectible bottles; old beer cans in fair shape (yes, even those that look rusty) can also be worthwhile (there are chemical treatments to get surface rust off of what is uaually a very thick coating of paint).

Woods can be very good to search through as well, especially if there were well-travelled paths through them, old outbuildings such as sheds within them, etc. Depending on the area of the country you are located in, there may have even been Civil War campsites located there, which might not only bring coins, but also badges, medals, belt buckles, and bullets.

Search it all over, leave no stone unturned. Incidentally, what part of the country is it in, generally speaking?
Learn More...
7215 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  12:27 pm  Show Profile Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to try my backyard.

I have grandchildren that visit on a regular basis. They are young and like digging in my yard.

I have a small plot I "seed" for them
so they can dig for "Treasure"

most often they come in a few coins short of what I have seeded.

so someday someone with a metal detector will find a stash of one and five cent coins in our "digging place".
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5471 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  3:08 pm  Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a tip remember to reset your detector when you transition from different types of terrain.
Richard Barnes www.mycoins.us
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Coins for trade
http://www.mycoins.us/Trade/CCFtrades.htm
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverTurtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WpgLwr wrote:

Quote:
Search it all over, leave no stone unturned. Incidentally, what part of the country is it in, generally speaking?

Central Illinois.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Central Illinois = lots of history = lots of potential.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverTurtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure when I should start detecting - Should I wait until March when it get's warmer and the ground thaw? I've been researching the area and found out that the area has a bank that was established in 1964.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I would wait until the snow is gone, the ground thaws, and it dries up. It's a lot easier digging dry than wet, and it's not as if anything is going to go anywhere until then. What you could do in the meantime is scope out the area on Google Earth and do a bird's-eye view to check the features for things like ravines and other natural landforms that may lend themselves to being natural hiding places and the like. You could also do some research on the area and determine the locations of such things as where commercial establishments used to be in the general area, not to mention such things as stores, Post Offices, bars, etc.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2010  7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverTurtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to do some more research on the area. The Creek nearby has a few ravines and a path - at the edge of the property there is a large clearing that may be a good place to search. I will post updates as I prepare for this hunt.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2010  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverTurtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
-UPDATE-

Going sometime over Spring Break - Definately on Easter - maybe even a partial sweep sometime before.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2643 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2010  08:29 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SilverTurtle,

I'm in West Central Illinois (just east of St Louis) and have done lots of historical research on much of the state. If you could narrow down the area a bit for me, I may be able to share some of my info with you. I'm not far from the first settlement in Illinois "Turkey Hill", established in the early 1700's. I have links to many historical sites in Illinois and would be glad to share.
So many coins, so little time ...
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2010  5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverTurtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Peoria County is the Location I am going.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2643 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2010  10:18 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SilverTurtle,

Here's a link to some historical sites in Peoria Co.
http://www.lat-long.com/Search.cfm?...+Search
You can modify the search from the top menu bar. It also has mapping and satellite photos. I'll let you take it from here.

I'll look for any other links I have from that area. Good luck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2643 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2010  10:21 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a catalog of the Rumsey maps for Illinois, you may find something here.

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/ser.../view/search jsessionid=AFF6FB007D7C72FBEE4676DD2DA9814D?q=Illinois&sort=Pub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&search=Search
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2010  5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverTurtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some images I scanned from a 1939 Collier's Atlas;

Red Ring - Area being searched.

Will these maps help out?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2643 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2010  08:42 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SilverTurtle,

Quote:
Will these maps help out?

Probably not. There isn't enough detail and points of interest are not included (train stations, parks, historical sites, etc.).

The old standby method is to find an "Old-Timer" who has been in the area for 50+ years, buy 'em a cup of coffee and listen to their stories. This is by far the best way to learn what was going on way back when.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05