Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Remove verdigris?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
168 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2010  2:24 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add laconic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am not a believer in cleaning coins but there is something about verdigris (green mould) that makes me want to as it corrodes the coin over time. Any of you remove it or do you feel even removing this devalues a coin. If you remove it, how do you do it?

Edited by laconic
05/26/2010 2:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2010  2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look in the main coin forum member BadThad has a product for removing some light verdigris. Problem is the distributor wants 22 bucks to ship (gasp) all the way to Canada.

Anyhow, verdigris is complex, about 35 (main ones) different reactions going on afaik, some organic some not. I can think of a few water soluble compounds that might affect some but not other forms of it. That's likely as good as it gets without reacting with the copper too much because of course, copper is very reactive.

Anyhow, what I do when I come across a coin I want that has it: I go get one that doesn't.
Valued Member
Canada
168 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2010  4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laconic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks UGLY. BadThad's Verdi-Gone sounds interesting but I only hvae this one coinm with Verdigris so I'll see what else can be made with home remedies or perhaps leave as is.

I bought the coin on eBay but the picture was too small to see the Verdigris but big enough to see it was small leaves without any mention by the seller :)
Learn More...
United States
2594 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2010  4:53 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The new one is Verdi-Care - if you look at the post you'll see a lot of example pictures of what it does and does not work on. It might be worth it to keep a bottle handy, even if you don't need all of a 2-ounce bottle right now. http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=62434

Other things you can try are distilled water, acetone, and xylene, in that order. With the last 2, proper precautions must be taken (ventilation, no sparks, glass container only, etc).. I'll try to find the post where BadThad talked about the chemical ladder (or something like that) and what steps to try..
very handy.

BadThad checked with the distributor about the ship price to Canada - it's less than 22, I think 14? He left details in his post. Ugly, I don't mind shipping to you from here for actual shipping if you like. Just PM me.

Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Learn More...
United States
2594 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2010  5:45 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the other post about which to try in what order: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=39932

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2010  5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add needgames4lyfe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally would get BadThad's product - I have seen pictures and it is great. Buy one now and hold on to it until you need it
Pillar of the Community
United States
2560 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2010  6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can't go wrong with Verdi-Gone.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Valued Member
Canada
168 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laconic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I decided to boil the coin for 5 min in a water/vinegar/salt solution then scraped the remaining verdigris off as lightly as I could with a soft bristled toothbrush. I know any brushing wears the coin down but I'll take the results to a coin-eating fungus. Dirt on a coin I can handle.

Before

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, what difference did it make?
Learn More...
United States
2594 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  7:20 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MUCH better, laconic!

Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2013  04:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stylez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you notice any scratches left by the brush.. I am trying to get a coin and the seller posted that it has verdigris on the reverse, so I'm doing some research on cleaning or removing the mold from it... thanks for the great pictures and information... PEACE...
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2013  10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add secoinedchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stylez, did you happen to notice that this thread is almost 4 years old? And I wouldn't use a brush, I would use a wooden toothpick to remove stuff.
Valued Member
Canada
343 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2013  7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billfrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or try a hawthorn
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05