Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1824 Capped Bust Dime Variety?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Administrator
Learn More...

United States
315 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2010  5:33 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Admin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Got the following through the feedback form on the site.....

Quote:
I have an 1824 bust dime. The Red Book shows two varieties, one with a pointed one and, one with a flat one on the reverse. I believe I have a pointed one but I can not find any information on this. The pointed one is worth considerably more than the flat one. Would you have any info. on the mintage or how to authenticate such a coin? I am a member of NGC but they do not show a listing for this particular variety. I would appreciate any kind of information. Thank You very much

I'll point them here, to see if anyone can help.

Learn More...
United States
17618 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2010  6:43 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm posting from my cellphone at work, unable to do the usual research. Somebody hit Heritage and see if we can get this Guy some pics. I'll find 'em tonight when I get home if nobody else has.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2010  7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
edit
Edited by zeewool
06/18/2010 7:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2010  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the picture from Heritage, Dave. There were only three in the archives and they all were of the same reverse variety as far as I could see. No visual difference in the reverse "1" anyway, and no mention of a difference in the "1". There are a few on eBay, but they look the same as this one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9259 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2010  10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zeewool's picture is of a JR-1 with the flat topped 1 in 10C. The JR-2 is an extremely rare coin, about an R-7 with maybe half a dozen specimens known so it isn't surprising there aren't any on the heritage site. But the JR-2 reverse was used again in 1825 (Sorry I don't know for which of the five varieties. I looked and it could be JR-1, 4, or 5) But if you will check the Heritage archives for the 1825 dimes you will see that all of them have the distinctly pointed top 1 on the 10C.

Edited by Conder101
06/21/2010 10:53 am
Learn More...
United States
17618 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2010  12:00 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, pics seem to be darn tough.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Condor, but research indicates that two good contrasts between JR-1 and JR-2 are:

- JR-1 is missing the right serif of the "1" in "10C," while JR-2 has complete serifs.

- JR-1, "ERI" in "AMERICA" are spaced. JR-2, "ERI" touch at the base.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2010  12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rkp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDave,

I believe you are correct sir! One of my favorite sites for bust dime attributions (with pics):

http://coinzip.proboards.com/index....ard=1824dime
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2010  12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rkp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, double post
Edited by rkp
06/21/2010 12:12 pm
Learn More...
United States
17618 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2010  12:27 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pic in that link, rkp.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9259 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2010  10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes those would be accurate diagnostics. I'm surprised though, I hadn't realized it was down to an R-5 now.
Administrator
Learn More...
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2010  10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Admin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank You so much. So far the pictures and, the advice has been very helpful. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. I will definitely be joining and, supporting your' site. Thanks again, Joe.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsShop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05