Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

list of coins in pocket change to look for ?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
958 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  05:22 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

LIST TO SEARCH FOR IN EVERYDAY POCKET CHANGE !

Lets all add to it what we think is important
then I can post it on my wall while search at my desk : )

lets do modern pocket change

PENNIES 1959-2010( know to exist ,errors , varities,scare ,rare)

(ones you can look in change and find pretty eazy with out high powered glass, if not we would be listing almost every dates tint errors so lets just do the bigger obvious ones)

1960 small date
1964 DDO DDR
1969 dd0
1970-S small date
1971 DDO
1971-S odv-28 , rdv-008 (re-engraved bow tie + wavey steps)
1972 DDO
1972-D DDO
1979-S type2
1981-S type2
1983 DDO
1984 DDO ( ears )
1988 v006 reverse ( 89 reverse on a 88 penny initials )
1992 rd007 ( close AM )
1992-D rd007 ( close AM )
1995 DDO
1998-S? rd007 ( close AM )
1999-S? rd007 ( close AM )
1999 DDR ( extra knee looks like penis )
2000-? rd007 ( Close AM )
2006 DDR ( extra knee looks like penis )

(not sure to include the 04 -05 dd stuff around abes chair and the new lichon DDO and DDR
but I think thats a fair amount of errors,varities,scare pennies to look for in pocket change)

JEFFERSONS

ROSIES

QUATERS

come on guys lets get going !

Then I can use it and publish a book that says GET RICH SEARCHING POCKET CHANGE ! LOL
good idea though and every few years revise it

Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dcreek1968 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that 1979-S and 1981-S type 2 the clear "S" version?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2557 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
ones you can look in change and find pretty easy with out high powered glass

These things would have to be the size of a dollar bill for me to see. I have to have my glasses and and my array of magnifiers to see them.

OK would you consider adding some of the 108 different known doubled dies on the 2009 Lincoln reverse? Some of those can be seen with the naked eye if one knows what to look for and a few of them carry a very nice premium over face at this time. If you would like to add the better ones let me know and I will compile a list and post it in this thread.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Pillar of the Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. There is no known major doubled die for 1969. The major one is 1969-S.
2. The 1970S DDO is missing from the list and is one of the most valuable Memorial cent doubled dies.
3. You are highly unlikely to find the 1979-S and 1981-S cents in change. They are proof only issues.
4. I would come far closer to adding the 1983 DDR to the list before any of the 1983 DDOs.
5. The 1995-D DDO is far more valuable than the 1995 DDO but is missing from your list.
6. The 1998-S and 1999-S are very unlikely to come from change - those are proof only issues.
7. There are many other interesting and valuable doubled dies missing from your list.
8. The repunched mintmarks from the 1980s are all missing from your list and are scarce and valuable.
9. The 1998 and 1999 Philly mint wide AM cents are missing from your list.

For the record, I do not like lists like this because it tends to force the list's user to search those dates only and miss a lot of good stuff. There are doubled dies, repunched mintmarks, or varieties for every year of Lincoln cent. Best to sort them by year and search them all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3589 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few more.
68-D DDR
83 copper (long shot:)
90 proof - No "S"
96 WAM (possible)?
97 DDO - Ear
06 DDO - Ear
Pillar of the Community
United States
3589 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roosevelts
82/83 No M.M.
And of course the very plentiful 1965 silver :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with coppercoins.

There are so many DD's out there, and more to be discovered. If you limit yourself to a list, you won't look for other abnormalities.
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*revised list*
How about this? a list of the coins in pocket change with a " value " lets say over 10.00 ( or we can set a price )if someone finds one. we can even add a estimated price of the coin in circulation decenbt condition
if I see a price of $35,000 next a penny darn right i'll and others will search . If I see a price of estimated value to be 10 cents or a buck its prob not gonna be a big deal to spend lots of time looking at that year coin
for that specific thing wrong with it

copper coins, the problem with looking at each penny is people just getting started ( like me )dont even know what to look for , for example I would not have known about the 1988 drv-006 by looking at it , I would have thought it is a normal penny . I read about it some where and now im on the look out .
so the list is not the absolute guide it is a guide for people to say hey I'm gonna check my pennies but let me pay special attention to these certian areas on certian year coins becuase they are known to have varities, errors and double dies so on

The info is all there ,its just spread out onto diff sites . This list would save people from going to site after site looking for all the info on DDO ,ddr,repunches,rare varities,low mint dates and anything unsual about the coin giving it value

well if anything you guys can just add to the list or subtract and i'll use the list and a few others that are novice can use it as a guide

A guide to look AND CHECK ALL OUR PENNIES , but be special carefull to pay attention to things others have found
like the repunches you mentioned and other coin you think are rare

PENNIES 1959-2010( know to exist ,errors , varities,scare ,rare)

(ones you can look in change and find pretty eazy with out high powered glass, if not we would be listing almost every dates tint errors so lets just do the bigger obvious ones)

1960 small date
1964 DDO DDR
1968 DDR
1969-ddr
1969-s dd0
1970-S small date
1971 DDO
1971-S odv-28 , rdv-008 (re-engraved bow tie + wavey steps)
1972 DDO
1972-D DDO
1979-S type2
1981-S type2
1983 DDR
1983 copper
1984 DDO ( ears )
1988 v006 reverse ( 89 reverse on a 88 penny initials )
1992 rd007 ( close AM )
1992-D rd007 ( close AM )
1995 DDO
1995 DDR
1997 DDO ( ear )
1998-S-P? rd007 ( close AM )
1999-S-P? rd007 ( close AM )
1999 DDR ( extra knee looks like penis )
2000-? rd007 ( Close AM )
2006 DDR ( extra knee looks like penis )
2006 DDO ( ear )
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or,

1) you can spend a lot of time at coppercoins website and learn what dies to look for
2) you could pick up a copy of coppercoins book "Looking through Lincoln Cents"
3) you could pick up a cherrypicker's guide
4) you could get a copy of "Strike it Rich with Pocket Change" by Ken Potter.

There are many books and websites on varieties and errors out there. It just takes time and repetition to learn what to look for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
about limiting yourself to a list .

its not limiting , its a double check

meaning you can look at all your pennies , but before you pass it to the side check for something on the list
like a diff style mint mark , a repunch , a DDO .
use other people finding to make sure you atleast check the coin for the know stuff that exist before you slide it over.

Its great someone discovered the 1988 drv-006 I thought it was normal THOUSANDS looked at it.
lets say for example

coppercoins looks at a 1988 reverse side for 100's of pennies and didnt catch the diff initial styles
but someone else did . Maybe if copper coins known at that time he would have looked at the coind with a diff eye for really looking at the initials.Maybe some got away he didnt know about before the 006 was noticed

My apologies to coppercoins if he found the rd-006 . But just knowing it exist can help others search for it
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or,

1) you can spend a lot of time at coppercoins website and learn what dies to look for
2) you could pick up a copy of coppercoins book "Looking through Lincoln Cents"
3) you could pick up a cherrypicker's guide
4) you could get a copy of "Strike it Rich with Pocket Change" by Ken Potter.

There are many books and websites on varieties and errors out there. It just takes time and repetition to learn what to look for.

???

or put them all together in one list
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first 2 are pretty exhaustive lists for Lincoln's.

The 3rd one is a pretty comprehensive list (all in one place) for all modern coins.

The 4th I'm not sure. I don't have a copy, but I'm sure it probably lists "mainstream interests".
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novillero to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what about coins that are NOT pennies, yet found in change (and not silver)?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2010  2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's fine to use a list if you are using it solely for the purpose of chacking back on something found to see if what you've found is known, but more so than not the lists become habit forming in only looking through dates listed. Not good.

Secondly, the ONLY way to know what's not normal is to look through a LOT of normal coins and pull out those that are truly unusual. At first the pile might be pretty big, but as you gain a little experience you will notice that some of what you're pulling out is common and probably not anything collectible. I stand by my statement that forming a list and using it is likely to create a bad habit of only checking for the coins on the list.
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2010  06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok guys I see the point

noverillio id like to see a list made of other coins as well in daily pocket change

copper coins im sure you have a list of things you wrote down and found
it would be like someone going to your website and seeing it on a eazy to read paper

i know wht you mean about habit forming from a list

i purposley took out a stack of 20-30 pennies not looking at the dates line up reverse took pics one at a time of the initials on the back
put op the conseca website reverse die variations and looked at each pic blow up and matched the initials
to the sites reverse die patterns then would flip over the coins and see the date to tell wether I was wrong or right.

i just thought the list would be eazy as a guide to see what others have found and a double check for a person looking at coins, sometimes just a a reminded

a guy might see some coins and think oh man I have a 1946 rosie lmk check that S mint mark closer for a variation.

if a eazy list was compiled
mint marks , repunches , errors , rare variations
( someone already said one exist in the error coin book )

ill have to check out a copy
but does it have transitional die errors? repunches ? min mark rarities ?

IDK yet , but if someone was willing to buy a book , that means enough intrest was in reading a list someone already made.

Maybe the book " looking at linchon cents " could be followed by a second edition .
" looking at all pocket change " if it existed id buy a copy , in computer form I hate thumbing through books

coppercoins ? do copies of your books exist online in downloadable forms? I just hate thumbing/reading through books it makes me tired,sleepy crooks my neck , I like a nice big illuminated computer screen infront of me and my chair
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12094 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2010  1:37 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I search I check for all known doubled dies area of doubling and found a year that had not been found yet. I knew there were the DDRs for the 2004 Lincoln cents affecting the EPU. So I check all memorials in this area and found one that was a new find.
2002-D
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/...1_EPU-02.jpg
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/...P-01_EPU.jpg

So far only one other example has been located that I know of. So look for everything possible for a series of coins.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 6.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05