Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shell/gasoline tokens?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3230 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  10:46 am Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this topic Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Does anybody have a picture of an old 70s Shell token alongside a new presidential dollar? I read that they are similar, but how so? I've never seen this token before.

Selling paper money: http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos (UNC): P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b.
Nickel, not Nickle :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
520 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  10:57 am  Show Profile Check BLUESZONE's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BLUESZONE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sold some on eBay I found at a auction. They are made of bronze and are about the size of a quarter. Shell had a 50 state,presidential, and space series. So I guess the color and size would be similar. You can find them on eBay most of the time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some on eBay right now but the pictures aren't too good for making a comparison. You would actually expect them to be similar in appearance though. After all a 3/4 face bust of a particular person looks pretty much like another 3/4 face bust of that same person. After all for the early presidents that aren't that many contemporary portraits they can use for source images. After 1840 when photography started there are more potential sources, but even then the number is fairly small until the late 19th century. I belive Lincoln was one of the most photographed presidents in the 1840 to 1890 period and I think there are only something like 160 images of him.
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrwisker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The shell coins are brass looking and thin. They have a brief presidential history on the back.
The ones I have seen have full bust (head and shoulders) The dollars are mostly face shots.
The heavier Bronze presidential coins could also be Franklin Mint releases. They look the same, just a better quality coin (IMO)
Everybody is right...search eBay...they're all over the place
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8870 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2010  04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a collection of 22 Shell aluminium petrol tokens, most of which I obtained in England (around the Manchester area, where I lived for 2 years), in 1970/71. I obtained a few more when I returned to Oz in 1972. They are about 23mm in diameter. They have an image of a car on the obverse and a brief description of the car on the reverse.

The collection is as follows:

1886 Benz 3 Wheeler
1903 Mercedes 60 HP.(x2)
1906 Renault 20/30 H.P.
1900 Royce-Royce Silver Ghost
1911 Ford Model T (x2) (I have seen about 30 of these together on a car club outing)

1913 Vauxhall Prince Henry
1925 Sunbeam 3 Litre
1928 Bentley 41/2 Litre (x2)
1930 M.G. Midget
1936 S.S. Jaguar 100 (x2)
1938 Volkswagen (My sister had one of these)
1937 Cord 812
1938 Lagonda V12
1949 Jaguar XK 120
1954 Mercedes-Benz 300SL (Gullwing) (I have been a passenger on one of these!)
1959 Morris Mini Minor (My brother had one of these)
1968 N.S.U. Ro 80
1970 Lamborghini Miura

I would love to get any more of the series that I don't have now

(I personally have a Mercedes-Benz W116 450 SEL 6.9, which explains my Forum Name)
Australia
1 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2010  9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add karori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Karori, Please review the rules, you are not allowed to sell on the forum yet ,there is a time and post minimum to sell on the forum, and then sales are not allowed in this forum.

If you have any questions, please let me know, Metalman
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2010  9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add livefree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Howdy all,
I have a shell oil co. Token. Mine is made of alumium the obv has their co. Logo the rev a pic of a us president. Are they worth anything?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1082 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2010  3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They passed out an aluminum token with each $2 purchase or more of gasoline. Most were a little free with the tokens so it wasn't hard to get extra. Many customers threw them away or they littered peeoples cars. They were everywhere.

The quality of them is exceedingly good and they were weell made. Only about twelve were extremely conmmon and another eight were found without much effort. Most of the rest were scarce or extremely rare then and are wholly unavailable today. There were a couple of "instant winners" which could be mailed in for a free complete set in bronze and these sets are not hard to find today. Many were broken up and the singles are common in token junk boxes.

There were three distinct runs of most these so a complete set probably conmprises around 100 pieces. Thetre were cards that were issued to hold the sets and widely available but these aren't seen in pristuine condition very often. Even beat up and used ones aren't common.

The attrition onthe aluminum tokens is probably around 99.96% but still most are common relative the demand or are simply unavailable at all. I've got about 50 different but might never add anotrher to my set. The bronze attrition rate is probably only about 50%.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2010  8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add livefree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks cladking. The one I have I found in a junk box at a local coin store. You know pick out eight coins or tokins for a buck. I have found several low mintage 1920's canadian pennies in that box.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05