Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972-S Proof Eisenhower Dollar - Peg Leg, DDO, and ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  9:23 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dcreek1968 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Whew!! Ok, I finally got some pics of the 1972-S Silver Proof Ike. I'd like to know what everyone thinks about this "peg leg" Ike, condition, comments about the variety, etc.

Also, in looking at this, you'll note that the "E" next to the "R" in Liberty has been abraded as well. Is this a known variety? Apart from that in the legend we can see (IMO) that this is a DDO which is visible on the G-T-R in "In God We Trust".

I also found it particularly interesting that there is a "dot" of metal inside the "R" of "Trust". This "dot" is obviously the result of a depression in the die which resulted in metal flow into the depression thus creating the dot. Do you agree with this assessment?

Lastly, the infomation on the "Ikegroup" was extremely beneficial. Is there a source I should look to for potential attribution of this variety?

Sorry to dump so much stuff on the "forum" at once, but any comments or opinions would be appreciated. I've noticed that the coin has a "bluish" appearane in the obverse and reverse fields. Could this be PVC contamination? Your thoughts? Thanks to all for your comments in advance.

P.S. Hard to get really good pics through a layer of plastic. Let me know if you want me to try again.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JimR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pics especially considering its a proof.

I am not familiar with the Ike varieties but there does appear to be some minor notching consistent with DD's.

Lets see what the Ike experts have to say.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  10:03 pm  Show Profile Check chuckster 125's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dcreek1968:

First- great pics.

While I do collect Ike's, I'm nowhere near an expert on these Proof Ike's.

I would recommend that you join the Ike Group and post these pics on the Ike forum also.

They also have a DIVA (Designed Ike Variety) Attribution Program for both RAW Ike's and slabbed Ike's.

Chuck.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dcreek-looks like a peg leg to me. Watch for a response from Stewart; he is very knowledgable about the Ikes. Very nice coin. I've got the 72 in my set, but still need a few others.
Pillar of the Community
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wolf-n-wa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice peg. not an expert with the ikes but looks doubled to me. WOLF
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11403 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  10:54 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree doubled die.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2010  11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dcreek1968 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chuckster, et al - many thanks for the comments. I've been to the Ikegroup website and applied for membership in their forum. If accepted, I will proceed to post the same pics and information to see what they say. I was kind of taken aback by both the die abrasion on the "R" and "E" (may be some on the "B" as well), but also with the fact that it may very well be a DDO and have the funny little pimple in the "R" of trust. Makes you wonder what the die maker was up to ..... or on!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10847 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2010  06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pix and a great coin find! Now a little off subject,i was going to PM you but you have no PM info in your profile.I would like to know what you used to take such great photos,what is your set-up?Thanks much,
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2010  09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dcreek1968 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1, I'm unfamiliar with PM, but then I had an IT bypass at a very early age. Let me know what it is and I'll update my profile.

As to your question, the pics are very low tech to say the least. I am using a Kodak Easyshare DX6340 digital camera. For the obverse and reverse pics I set it up on a tripod and place the coin on a black felt backdrop that covers some styrofoam blocks that I use to angle and hold the coin while picture taking. I place the coin at an angle and then try to set the tripod about 24 inches away at a 90 degree angle (or close thereabouts) to the surface of the coin. I set the camera on the "close-up" setting (for objects 24 inches or less) and then use the wide angle or tripod button to move in closer. These were taken on about a 8.0 magnification as I recall. Regarding the lighting, I don't have to play with it as much now as say a few months ago, but I use various sources for diffuse lighting to try to avoid glare, etc. Trial and error has shown me what works....and what doesn't.

On the other pics of the specific areas of the coin, I am actually taking those through the lens of a mircoscope by holding the camera up to the lens piece and snapping pics. I don't use any flash, just the microscope lighting (which is on a rheostat) to adjust. All but one of these pics were taken at 10X on the scope, the latter picture of the dot in the "R" was taken on 30X. You can use the wide angle / telephoto button on the camera to also zoom in. I use the camera's protruded lens to hold the camera still on the microscope eyepiece. Sometimes you have to adjust either the camera or the microscope to get a full field picture, but that comes with experience.

On the side, I have looked at an adapter to hold the camera on to the microscope for years - they are about $300 with no return if they don't work. I decided not to go for it and just try this out. With a little trial and error it seems to be working fine like it is for now. Thanks for the question and apologies for a long winded response.

One more thing - I am probably taking twice as many photos and throwing about half of them away. Oh the beauty of digital cameras!! The only editing that I have done on these pics is to rotate them one way or the other to get them right side up... on most of them anyway. Have a great day and good luck with the pics.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10847 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2010  11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dcreek1968,
Thank you for the response.Your profile lacks an E-mail address so members can contact you direct. Also you might want to post your photo set-up in the photography forum it has a lot of good info that members could use.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
2182 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2013  8:06 pm  Show Profile Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any update result on this coin?
*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade.
My coins for sale
Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05