Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Canada Cent Pointed and Blunt 5

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
62 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2010  8:36 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mbird to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I hope you don't mind if I post some pics and ask if you think these are blunt or pointed 5's to help me as I learn to see these. I scan them so I can get a better look and compare than I would with just a magnifier or loop. I still have trouble making a positive identification on blunt vs. pointed.

On the top row I can see #1 and #6 are blunt (I think) but the rest of the row (2, 3, 4, 5) is in question.

On the bottom row I think 7, 8, 10 are blunt and 9 is pointed.

If you can confirm/deny that would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2010  09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add splatto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually think they are all blunt. I don't have a point of reference to compare to at the moment, but the pointed 5 on the '65's is at about a 45 degree angle
Pillar of the Community
Canada
686 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2010  10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jg86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agree with splatto, all blunt. some blunts are slightly pointed, but the true pointed 5's are extremely pointed.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2010  10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mbird to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about #8 and #9 -- they are dramatically different. Could #9 be pointed?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
686 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2010  1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jg86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see many differences between a lot of the coins. The blunts are not all exactly the same. Keep in mind that the Mint uses more than one die to strike coins.

I believe others have said that there are more than one type of blunt 5, I would say that these two fall into that category. #8 is the 'most blunt' blunt 5 you posted, and #9 is the 'most pointed' blunt 5 you posted. They are both blunt though.

I don't have access to a pointed 5 picture right now, but just trust splatto's comment that the pointed 5 is nearly at a 45 degree angle. #9 looks no more than 15 degrees. When you see a pointed 5, you'll know it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9665 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2010  2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of all the verified pointed 5's I've seen, the "point" looks like a die chip or flaw at the end of the stroke (to me).
Whatever the cause, it's pretty dramatic, and I agree with Splatto, the group above looks blunt to me too.

Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2010  4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mbird to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1cent makes a good point in this post saying: Here is a scan I took of the PT5, notice in particular the
length of the point, and how close it is to the maple twig.

I notice that holds true in the images that DVCollector supplied above -- the pointed 5 is very close to the maple twig and the point is very pointy.

I now see that all mine are blunts. I think (as 1cent noted) that I will not concentrate on the slant anymore but on the pointiness and on the closeness to the twig.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1157 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2010  1:05 pm  Show Profile Check cladhunter13's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cladhunter13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1965 Pointed 5 that I found a few months back. The slant of the 5 is dramatic compared to the standard 5.

Check out my current eBay Auctions http://www.ebay.com/sch/louisetimg1...pg=50&_sop=1
One of my favorite Coin Roll Hunting finds of 2010
Pillar of the Community
Canada
611 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2010  03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, all of the OP's fives are blunt. I find the pointed 5's to be tough to find in circulation,
even with the small beads obverse. I agree 100% with DVC about the nature of the point, and it's well
illustrated by cladhunter's PT5 above if you know what you're looking at. At the tip of the point extends
a tiny bit more of a point, and along the diagonal of the point will change in appearance depending on what
angle you view it from. Every PT5 I've seen exhibits this, which leads me to believe that the PT5 may very
well have been the result of a single die. This also brings into question for me the circumstances of the five proof-like PT5's ICCS has graded to date. If anyone out there has one, I'd sure love to study a high
res picture or scan of it.
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2010  09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hopping_rabbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great topic.
Would love to get my hands on one of these in a roll. Tough to come by.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05