Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

when is a 2 dollar bill worth more then 2 dollars?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2010  08:13 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

is this two dollar bill worth more then two dollars?

I have another one from 1963 with red serial numbers..

thank you and come visit me on the stamp side...

Pillar of the Community
United States
3330 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2010  08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no, its just worth face value.

the red seal, however, has maybe a dollar or 2 premium over face.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2010  09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Red Book lists $9 in UNC-63 condition and doesn't list prices for conditions below it. Its worth a premium only if someone is willing to pay one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2010  11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 8 written on the face looks to be in pencil. You can use a good soft eraser to remove it. Just be gentle.

And there are people who will give you more than face for it, how much is never an easy question to answer.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2010  11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for all the info..
I bought two at auction for $5.00
1 had cut corners so it is worth $2.00
hoping this one would be worth at least $3.00
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11120 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2010  12:17 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1976 series $2s are common as dirt. I can clearly see wrinkles on that note so it is worth face value, CU examples do have a small premium. Red seals are usually worth at least 2x face unless they are damaged or raggy.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2010  9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add karrlot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1976 $2's are very common. If you go to the bank and get $2's probably 20%-25% are going to be from 1976.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2010  10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unlike everyone else here I am trying not to squash stampvirgin's collecting spirit

My suggestion would be that in the future always buy the best quality note you can afford. Since uncirculated $2 notes are very common
they are also affordable and worth a bit more. Stars are also affordable in uncirculated $2 notes, and worth a bit more still. In the end
you can purchase a note that is worth $8 or $10 for half that, maybe even better if your not in a hurry to buy. And do your homework.

By homework I mean buy a book about currency values, also eBay is a good place to see what notes are going for, and so forth.

My first love (when referring to note collecting) was $2 bills and you have a nice one there.
Edited by Nickelman
09/15/2010 10:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2010  10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the 1976 notes are my personal favorite $2 bills because of the reverse. People are so much more interesting to look at and think about than a building is.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2010  05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for your assistance. I am not a real coin collector. I just decided to pick those up.Sometime soon I will pull out the small silver collection I have and post some pictures.
As you can see by my name, I am more involved on the Stamp Side...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05