Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Lacquered Coin - ?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
larryt
Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2010  11:18 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add larryt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

When a coin is graded as being 'Lacquered' what does the term mean. Thanks

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10892 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2010  11:53 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The term "laquered" usually pertains to old copper/bronze coins. An old-time method for patina preservation was to apply a thin layer of laquer to a coin, primarily to keep red/red-brown coins from turning brown. Laquer can usually be removed with an organic solvent, acetone will sometimes work but you may need a nonpolar solvent such as xylene.
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2010  1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anybody know for sure whether xylene will discolor red copper?
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10892 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2010  1:27 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Xylene will not affect copper, otherwise I would not have recommended it However, the patination may look funky if there are breaks in the laquer coating. There is the possibility of ending up with a red coin that has odd brown areas or streaks but a coin coated in laquer isn't really eye appealing either.
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2010  1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My reason for asking is that I have a coin that is in the MS-65 or 66 range and 100% red. It was previously lacquered and almost all was recently removed with acetone. The color was unaffected, but a few persistent tiny spots of lacquer remain. I was thinking of trying zylene on them, but I am somewhat a wussy about trying it on a potential $4K coin.
Valued Member
Canada
250 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2010  02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TwoCentsWorth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you or anyone else post a photo of lacquered coins?

Thanks
$0.02 Worth
Valued Member
Greece
405 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2010  3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add epop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NCS removes professionally lacquer.If your coins is so high grade then you must sent it to professionals.
Valued Member
Canada
168 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2010  09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laconic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a $4000 MS-65 coin and you are not showing pics?! :(
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2010  9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and even worse... you tried to clean it..........
shame on you
Valued Member
Canada
276 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2010  11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rodime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL Maybe not a $4k coin anymore...
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2010  7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add USMC7579 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soak it in Xylene for 30 minutes, then overnight in Olive Oil, then repeat.

I never gave you that kind of advise.... >>>> : 0 : )
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1024 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2010  7:06 pm  Show Profile Check specksynder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know acetone & xylene would remove lacquer. I sold a 1909-s vdb to the local coin shop that we believe was lacquered. He said he was tempted to crack it from the slab to try resubmitting it. Didn't know it might be as easy as an acetone soak.
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2010  7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have a nice day everyone.

Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2010  7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buzzard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like a task for NCS. While I have never sent them a lacquered coin, I have used them for key date bronze coins with surface debris, and was very pleased with the results. Both of the coins that I sent in were successfully "conserved" then crossed over to NGC for grading as problem-free coins. The only drawback that I can see for you is that NGC does not seem to be held in high regard by Canadian collectors.

That is a gorgeous coin, and well worth sending in. Nice uncirculated Maritime Provincial coins are quite hard to find.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2010  8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add USMC7579 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin bosox. If this is the coin, you may want to talk to NCS. I am by no means a coin-Doctor. I just know what has worked for others.
Great luck with it. and again, great looking coin.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2010  10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bosox....
can you change the in the date to a 2?

wow....
will post some NS coins soon... very similar
H
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05