Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 canadian dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2010  5:58 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

how to tell if your 1968 canadian dime is silver or nickel without having to weigh it?

i know that the nickel ones are 99.9% nickel, so wouldn't you be able to tell by holding a magnet to it?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2010  6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AFAIK, nickel is not magnetic. you could try the tissue test.
Edited by Namachieli
10/05/2010 6:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1377 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2010  6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1968 non silver dime is magnetic and that is how you tell the difference along with the colour difference.
Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2011  8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EY_Pep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which one was made in Ottawa/Philadelphia?
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2011  9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bowfin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1968 non silver dime is magnetic and that is how you tell the difference along with the colour difference

Yup. The silver one will have a more whitish hue, the nickel one will be slightly more bluish. You can see it when they are side by side.

The magnet method is loads easier though...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2011  10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep nickel is magnetic and once work hardened is even more magnetic.

EyPep ... some of the nickel versions were minted in Philly.
Valued Member
Canada
306 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2011  12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uncle al to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About the only way to tell the difference is to have a diagram of each of them to compare with. I have the diagrams in the Charlton Book and it is still hard to differentiate the two. good luck.
Valued Member
Canada
326 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2011  01:25 am  Show Profile Check Scissel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968 Canadian 10c coins from the Ottawa Mint have rounded-bottom grooves in the reeding. The ones minted in Philadelphia have flat-bottom grooves.

Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2011  09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EY_Pep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Scissel. It is hard to tell, the edge is worn, but looks like its an Ottawa 1968 dime
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2011  1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickolas086 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found one and I did the magnet trick to my disapointment my 1968 Canadian dime is made out of nickel and not silver...... :(
Pillar of the Community
Canada
902 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2011  1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littlemoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ottawa or Philadelphia

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=87623
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2011  11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rojo745 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only way to tell for sure is to line the coins up against a US dime. The US dime has more ridges (118), so they will be closer together than those of a Canadian one. If the ridges all line up perfectly, then the Canadian dime was minted in Philadelphia not Ottawa. The US Mint used their own dime collars when minting them, hence the only difference.

Read this article for more info:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis...icleId=14851
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2011  10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hopping_rabbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went through about 75 '68 dimes I had in a container with a magnet and not one was silver. If anyone actually finds one in circulation I think it would be a small miracle. I think they have pretty much been fished out.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2011  6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rojo745 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rabbit, did you check the reeded edges to see if they were all the same?
Pillar of the Community
United States
766 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2013  7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just adding to this thread, I had some left over coinage from my summer trip to Cornwall. I just checked a 1968 dime. Not magnetic, rounded profile on the reed.
It is quite dirty and toned, but I will accept that it is silver and add it to my Canada coin album. (along with a 1996 twooney and a 1987 dollar coin.)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
745 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2013  1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nathancrh1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I coin roll hunt I check all the 1968 dimes with a magnet. It really is just that simple, the silver ones are not magnetic and the nickle ones are. So far out of $375 I have found I silver 68'.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05