Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

50 cent pieces from bank still?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  05:31 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi,

I haven't seen a 50 cent piece in literally MANY decades. I'm 56 and do remember them in childhood as being common change. I'm wondering if you can still go into a bank and get rolls of 50 cent pieces? And if so, how many are in a roll? Just wondering. Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
5923 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  06:14 am  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Dottir, You can not get silver .50 from the banks any more,you may pick up some nickel .50 cents if they have some that customers have brought in.

My bank saves all their nickel .50 cents & nickel dollars for me.

The teller tells me they have to fill out a lot of paper work to send it back.
True North
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks SHAFTA9a :) I was curious after reading bits lately mentioning something about old coinage and 1 & 2 dollar bills are still legal tender. Also I think I read that the Mint still makes 50 cent pieces though obviously NOT for general circulation. And obviously not in silver any more unless they're special Collector coins strikes.

I'll ask the guy teller I've bought coins rolls from, and who is very nice and friendly about it with me, about 50 cent pieces then, next time I'm in. I'm hoping he'll be as friendly and easy when I finally take all my pennies rolls in :D
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5923 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  06:46 am  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds, good Dottir, I have some extras in Nickel stuff if your interested... PM me.
True North
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was actually just more curious than considering buying any, but if the bank had rolls I'd like to go through them looking for any special ones (varieties or errors) I'm really in no position to be collecting and hanging onto more than the pennies for long though. Maybe some time down the road though, and thanks a lot for your offer!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dottir,

I'm just a 'lil bit younger than you - say in late 40s and honestly I can't remember anyone around me paying with a 50 cent or dollar coin. We had a jar of coins and my dad would empty his pockets and I never saw anything other than 1-5-10-25. In the 70s at least, these were not common circulation coins in Laval, Quebec. Perhaps in other parts of Canada I don't know.
Valued Member
Canada
302 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2010  11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uncle al to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dottir, I am old enough to remember using 50 cent coins, and I still get them every year that I can. I either get them from the Mint or order them from either Colonial Acres Coins or J and M Coins. I order three rolls each year and sell one to each of my brothers, to cover the cost of purchasing and postage. I thing that in time, they should become quite valuable. At the start of a new year, I am on their web site continually until I can order the three rolls, it takes up considerable time but I think it will be worth it in the end, maybe not in my life time, but maybe in my sons or grandchildren's time. take care.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2010  12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian Coins, I was born in '54, lived rural, Balsam Bay/Beaconia by Grand Beach til 1960, then small town Southern Manitoba (Beausejour) til 65, then out West to BC. In the 50's and early 60's, I sure remember them as common circulating coins and loved the 50 cent pieces. What kid of back then wouldn't? When 5 cents bought you a small bag FULL of candies, like jawbreakers etc I liked that the coins were big and heavy. Impressive! Never had one of my own as a small kid that I can recall, but probably did get some in change. (too much money for a kid then?) I got pennies and nickels, sometimes a dime, often a quarter for dancing or singing for the grownups. Sure wish I had all those coins NOW!!

Enforcer Al, glad you remember them in change. Thats awesome that you buy them still. I like 50 cent pieces. One day I'll buy one for my collection :) It's also a nice idea to collect them to pass down to the grand kids and great grandkids. Especially the silver ones from back in our kid years!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2010  12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dottir. Yes, 50 cents was a lot of money in the 60s that's for sure. I remember a quarter paid for a small bag of chips, a chocolate bar and a Coke. Then came along nickel coins, the Mars bar - and inflation. Babyboomers....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2010  12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep. No such critter as "penny candy" any more either, or "penny matches" either!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
860 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2010  01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the day when my mother was in her early 20's ( she is 79 now )she was a waitress and had saved 2 quart jars of 50 cent pieces which was a lot of money then ( The days of the 5 cent ice cream cone ) ...Some one stole them..It would be nice to have those now...

Awhhh...I Also Remember The Good Old Days...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2010  02:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A big thump on the head of whoever stole your Mom's saved coins, hard earned tips I don't doubt too!

Make mine a Rainbow ice cream cone from Mollies at Grand Beach back in the 50's, when Mom worked for Molly's stand, summers, as a waitress/server. I have a photo of Mom sitting on Molly's knee and they're both hamming and grinning for the camera, taking a break, and in their work uniforms, in the 1950's! Ice cream stained uniforms no doubt :D

Yes, see what I started? This 50 cent thread sure twigs a lot of nostalgic memories of the good old days. Be nice to have all the 50 cent pieces from the 50's Shoulder folds AND no shoulder folds please!
Edited by Dottir
10/08/2010 02:09 am
Valued Member
Canada
150 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2010  6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HawkC026 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in my mid 40's and while I don't remember seeing many 50 cent pieces in change, I do remember my father sending me to the store in the early 70's to buy smokes for him with 50 cent pieces that he kept in a jar in the kitchen cupboard.

The funny thing is, as long as I told the store owner the smokes were for my dad, I never got hassled about buying them........very different times we live in today.

Fortunately I was smart enough to put aside some of those 50 cent pieces along with the few silver dollars that made their way into the jar and I still have them to this date.

I think I'll need to dig them out of storage and see if I put away anything interesting
Canada
34 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2010  01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add legion1349 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny story,

Whenever I go into a bank I ask the teller for 50 cent pieces....I'd say about once a month I'm lucky enough to find a batch (on the rare occasion a silver one comes into the mix...yes I have found silver 50's at the banks...even silver $1)

Anyways, since I work as a cashier at a gas station I put all the doubles (except for rare ones) into my till and hand them out in change.

Basically to make a long story short, I still circulate 50 cent coins ...who knows maybe you'll come across one in your change.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4313 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2010  10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go to coin stores, some of the dealers will give you common dates in your change or at face value if you want to buy them.
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2010  10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still haven't learned of any coin stores or counters in stores in this town. There is a second hand, antiquey store, kinda seedy or dubious feel to the place and store people but they may have some cheap commoner coins for sale. Next month I'll stop in and check them out to see what they might have, just so I know.

I will ask about 50 cent pieces on Tues when I drop in to the bank though, just to find out if my favorite teller guy ever gets them in and might hand them over to me in loose change.

This little "hobby" is getting me interested in wanting to search or hang onto more than one cents. Uh oh. Gotta stay within budget here. Discipline!!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05