Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Value of a blank planchet?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  04:17 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add AndrewLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found a blank planchet in a roll of 2010 shield pennies the other day. It has all the luster and color of a freshly minted coin. Im keeping it regardless, but was wondering of its value if any. Also why was it not struck, and how did it slip through to circulation?

Valued Member
386 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
check a Red Book. It has a guide in the back with common errors and what their values are. I would but I am not near my current Red Book.
Valued Member
United States
497 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add andrewjconners to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can you post some pictures
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add slash112 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been wondering this question too
I have 2 planchets from 2010P rolls of nickels
also I found a penny one when I first started collecting about 10 months ago
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  10:49 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Values can vary depending on denomination but cent planchets are by far the most common and worth a few dollars. Blank planchets are the most commonly released error. Planchets can escape because they are the same size, shape, and color of a struck Lincoln and can be very difficult to find when swimming in a sea of a few hundred thousand cents.
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
10/20/2010 10:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spaceace to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought one for the novelty and got it for $2 I think. I think $2-3 or so would be a fair premium for a blank cent planchet as far as I have seen.
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TenSense to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's to stop someone from faking a blank planchet? We're just talking about a disk of metal here, right?
Valued Member
United States
497 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add andrewjconners to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
but coin machines I doubt would read them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  12:41 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Getting the proper size, weight, and alloy would be more difficult than you think. The OP acquired this one from a new roll of coins so it is almost certainly genuine but if you find one in a random roll of circulated coins, you should weigh it to make sure it is not a slug.
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cutepenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A penny planchet...wouldnt that be worth one cent?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1974 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  1:05 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its value also depends on whether its a type one or type two planchet, the difference being whether or not it has had its rim applied or not.

and in response to cute penny, legally in the eyes of the government an unstruck blank is not currency and has no face value.

-XoG
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11377 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  1:24 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! As bio said, these are worth a "few bucks".
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2010  6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input. I would post, but do not have the means to do so, or the cash to buy a scanner, tight budget right now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2010  3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timsumrall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read on another CCF post that there's blanks and then there's slugs. What's the difference? Size and weight as mentioned? Does slug mean fake?

Also, expect no rim, correct?

Sorry my "what happens at the mint" knowledge is weak at best.

Oops..just read XoG's reply about type 1 and 2. Which is which?
Edited by timsumrall
10/22/2010 3:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2010  4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KisNap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know a slug is a fake "coin" meant to fool vending machines and the planchet/blank could have a rim or not it just depends on if made it through the upsetting mill properly which creates the rim. If the coin has the rim it's a planchet, if it doesn't it's considered a blank. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Check out my model train site: http://www.CarlettaTrains.com
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2010  6:07 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A slug is a round piece of metal meant to imitate a coin for vending or roll count purposes. There are two types of planchets- Type 1 blank as punched from a stock sheet of metal and Type 2 which is a blank that has been run through an upsetting mill so it has a protorim to aid in the striking of the final coin. I direct your attention to the picture below- the first one is a Type 1 planchet(blank), notice the sharp rim. The second one is a Type 2 that now has an rounded upset rim. As you can see from the third one, Zincoln planchets are blanked and upset before the plating process.

ANA R-3151318
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05