Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Steel Pennies

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2010  2:39 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add KYPennyPitcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've seen several posts about cleaning the 1943 Steel Lincoln Wheat cent and thought I'd share this. If the coin is not rusted too bad, and had only the "common" white residue on it, try soaking it in WD-40 for 15-20 minutes. It was made to free up and clean rusty, stuck mechanical parts and it will also provide some protection against more rust if the coin is wiped gently, leaving a thin film on and not enough to gomme up your holder if you want to put it in one.
Give me a hammer, some duct tape, and WD-40 and I will conquer the world, as a friend of my Dad's once said!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2010  5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4339 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2010  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2010  7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4426 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2010  7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all ...... to the forum.

You can tell by their reaction that most experienced collectors consider 'cleaning' of any coin to be a bad idea.

Perhaps you can share some photos of the results of this method?

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13036 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2010  7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only problem is the cost of the WD-40 and your time really isn't worth the results. Usually a 1943 Steel Cent sells for about $0.25 to $1.00 in really nice shape, no rust, no tarnishing, etc. Above AU will usually cost a little over $1 but not by much. At some flea markets I've seen bins full of them and for $0.10 but mostly full of rust, tarnishings, etc. I've presently have 2,234 of those things and mostly AU or much better.
Even if the WD-40 did work, I'd rather use it on something that is needed.
just carl
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2010  3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KYPennyPitcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've also read, and a local dealer told me the same thing, that Mineral Oil will aslo clean the 1943 Lincoln Steel Cent, as long as it isn't too cruddy. Mineral Oil takes a little time to work though.
I don't clean many coins, but if it's one I want to keep I might touch it up a little. The majority (99.99%) of the time I'd rather have an uncleaned circulated coin IF it's in pretty good shape. Being retired and unemployed right now I can't justify giving BIG $ for AU or MINT condition coins.
I really like's the CCF site and forum too! Hopefully I'll get enough posts soon to get some photos loaded.
Valued Member
Cyprus
56 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2010  4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stelios to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is WD40 safe for the coin?
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2010  4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Waredu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WD-40 was not
Quote:
made to free up and clean rusty, stuck mechanical parts
It was made to displace water. In fact, that's what WD-40 stands for - Water Displacement, 40th attempt. Considering it does leave a residue behind on everything with which it comes into contact - there is no way I would put it, much less leave it, on any coin.
Valued Member
Cyprus
56 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2010  10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stelios to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im also affraid to use it. What are the long time effects?
Learn More...
United States
21886 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2010  11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Removing gunk without damaging the coin is okay. This is exactly what water, acetone, and xylene do. They break up the filth, but do not react with or damage the actual metal of the coin.

The question is whether or not WD-40 will react with or damage the metal itself. I do not know the answer, but I can almost guarantee everyone that BadThad does.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13036 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2010  7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at this like this. You soak a few 1943 rusted, corroded 1943 Steel Cents in WD-40 for a few days or weeks. They now look shinny but mostly due to the WD-40. So now you take them out of the jar of WD-40 and spend about $0.25 for soap and water to clean the jar. Now you have to wash your hands since they too are full of WD-40 and that too cost for the soap and water. Now you lay that slimy coin on a table and your wife screams that you just ruined her table cloth so you run out and buy a new one. Still she is really irritable and a divorse follows. AHHHHH, but you now have your almost worthless, cleaned 1943 cents so there.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13036 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2010  7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot, you have to rinse off all that WD-40 from the coins so more work and material.
just carl
Edited by just carl
11/22/2010 7:48 pm
Valued Member
Cyprus
56 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2010  5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stelios to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She will probably throw the coin away and your left with nothing lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WD-40 is a good ant killer

but I sure wouldn't use it on coins
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9041 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put some acrylic spray lacquer from a spray can on a 1964 Kennedy half when I got it in 1964. The lacquer was as clear as water, and on the coin is almost impossible to detect. The coin now is exactly as I sprayed it in 1964. That's 46 years ago.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05