Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Supplies, Books, Reference, Software, etc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

How to Label a Cardboard 2x2

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
snitchard
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2010  8:46 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add snitchard to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a "standard" for labeling 2x2 cardboard coin holders in terms of what information goes on the holder and where? Also, what type of pen/sharpie is safe to use?

Thanks,
Rich

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1683 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2010  9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never heard of a standard that people are expected to follow.

For US Coins, this is what I do...top left is the year, top right is the grade, bottom left any notes like "cleaned" or "VF Details" and bottom right is the price if I plan to sell at a coin show. On the reverse top right is the date I bought it, reverse bottom left is a purchase code (like CS for buying it at a coin show) and bottom right is my cost coded so that I know what I spent on it.

For foreign coins I do country on top left, then denom, then year, also include KM#. I dont put a grade because I dont know enough to grade foreign coins. Bottom right is the price. On the reverse, its the same as US coins.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2010  9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't label 2x2's. Instead I put extra (paper) pages between coin pages with info (whatever you choose) printed on them on both sides.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3193 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2010  9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coinhunter, how would you work out a code?
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1722 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2010  10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For all coins that I keep in 2x2's, I've standardized my notations as ...

Top left: year, then directly underneath: country

Top right: denomination

KM#'s will go bottom left, and other info along the bottom.

For ancient coinage, like Roman, the ruler followed by the approximate years of reign is written in the top left corner.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2010  10:47 pm  Show Profile Check bmanofnbc's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add bmanofnbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how would you work out a code?

pick a word or phrase that has 10 or more different letters in it and assign each letter to a number.

Example:
Numismatists rule
1=N
2=u
3=m
4=i
5=s
6=a because m was already used.
7=t
8=r because I,s & t are used already.
9=u
0=l

so if you paid $305 for a coin the code would be mls or mlsll if you want to keep the .00 on the prices.
check out my coins for sale on ecrater -
http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Edited by bmanofnbc
12/06/2010 10:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2010  10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think most people (that do label), sticks with an abbreviated theme of CoinHunter's.

I put date, grade, notes on all of them and Sell price/estimate of value on some. Good idea to record other info like date, price paid as mentioned, but I keep track of all of that in a spreadsheet.

Codes would be easy to come up with, just pick something that will remind you of the answer, like CS=Coin Show, CL=Craigslist, BEE = unpiglatin(EBay), etc.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11066 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2010  03:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a "standard" for labeling 2x2 cardboard coin holders in terms of what information goes on the holder and where?

As others have said, there's no standard, you're free to do whatever you like. You don't even have to do all of your 2x2s the same way, though if you're a dealer or seller, it's good for your customers if all the information is in the same place on all your 2x2s, so they're not wasting time hunting for the information they need.

My personal system is similar to what others have said.

On the front:
- Top left: country. Below that, denomination.
- Top right: date, parallel with denomination. Mintmark (if present) directly below the date.
- Below the coin: Any special notes, varieties or other comments about the coin.
- Far bottom right: price paid code.

On the back:
- Top left: catalogue number. Krause for modern, Sear for ancient, Spink for English hammered, etc.
- Top right: Sap number. Each coin in my collection has a unique number, which among other things helps me find it on my computer, both in my database and in my picture archive.
- Bottom: provenance details: usually just an abbreviation of where I bought it and when, though if further provenance is known I record it here too. I also record a "case date", when the coin went into that particular 2x2 (if it wasn't the same date as when I bought it), so in the event that I've bought a bad batch of 2x2s I can track down it and the other coins that were encased at the same time.

I don't record the grade on the 2x2, mainly because I realize that my grading standards change with time. I've been putting coins into 2x2s since I was ten, and the grades I put on those earliest 2x2s are laughably naive to me today. I sometimes also re-use the same 2x2 if I buy an upgrade.

Quote:
Also, what type of pen/sharpie is safe to use?

Again, I don't think it's really a major concern, since the ink's on the outside and the coin's on the inside, and the amount of ink we're talking about is usually quite small. My choice of pens is dictated more by ones that I'm forced to write neatly with, since my handwriting needs all the help it can get.

But if you're worried, try this simple test: colour in a square on a piece of paper, and leave it on a table or benchtop to dry overnight. Come back next morning and smell it. If it still has a strong inky or chemical smell, then it's the kind of ink that could potentially cause problems if a lot of it is sealed up in a small space with your coins.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1954 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2010  09:41 am  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I find wonderful for 2x2s is using an Ultra Fine point Sharpie to write on the coins. They are inexpensive and can be found at most, if not all, business supply stores like Staples, and easy to write with. The best thing is that they dry almost instantly! I brought one into a coin dealer friend once and he was thrilled.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1526 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2010  11:35 am  Show Profile Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's mine

On the front:
- Top right: date and mint mark, for example 1909-S
- Top Left: anything special or notable, for example: cleaned
- Bottom right: Grade.

On the back:
- Top right: my database 4 digit serial number (upside down). I'm not sure why I got in the habit of upside down? This serial number will tie into my MS Access database where I keep track of price paid, selling price, etc.
The_Duke
ANA# 3159445
http://dukescoins.ecrater.com/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2010  8:25 pm  Show Profile Check bmanofnbc's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add bmanofnbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you really want your 2x2 to look nice you can even print out labels on a labelmaker.
check out my coins for sale on ecrater -
http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2010  9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Waredu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What I find wonderful for 2x2s is using an Ultra Fine point Sharpie to write on the coins.

Please, don't write on the coins.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1954 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2010  10:53 pm  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for pointing that mistake out ... I laughed! No, don't try this at home
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2010  12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add monkeyman67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you guys use staples on these? I do and sometimes they stick out and jerk me or hook onto the coin behing it. I read that someone used tape. Ony opinions?
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2010  12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Waredu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use pliers to crimp the staples flat.
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2010  1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add monkeyman67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Waredu that is what I will do. I was pushing them down with my fingernail but I will use pliers now. Thanks.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05