Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1940+ Jefferson Silver Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  2:31 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add allen4prez to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello. I just got these given to me. I have 255 Jefferson 1939 to 1948 Jefferson silver nickels. Wanted to know what year or mint I wanted to look out for. Anybody looking for a specific year?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1035 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  3:49 pm  Show Profile Check specksynder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the silver war nickels were minted from 1942-1945. They can be distinguished (often by their color) by a VERY large mint mark over the dome of Monticello on the reverse.

These are valuable in very high grade, but in low grade the melt value of their silver content is currently about $1.50. So sort out any silver nickels.

The older stuff has some value in high grades. (I look for details on Monticello on the reverse... even new from the mint you usually won't see steps on Monticello, but you can see details in the windows and pillars.)

As for special stuff, 1939-D, 1938-S and 1938-D are hard to come across. There is a doubled Moniticello on some 1939 coins. There is a mintmark error on some 1942-D coins. (1942-D are non-silver... 1942-S are silver... 1942 coins from Philadelphia were minted in both varieties. The "Type I" has no mintmark and is nickel-alloy. The "Type-II" has a P over Monticello and is silver-alloy.)

The last thing I would keep my eyes peeled for is a Henning Nickel. They are VERY valuable counterfeits. They were made with dates of 1939, 1944, 1946, 1947 and 1953 (but rumors persist that other years may exist). The easiest to spot is the 1944 because it has no mintmark over Monticello. This is the coin that led to Henning's detection. You can identify the other years - usually by a defect in the "R" in the word "PLURIBUS". You can search the forum or web for photos.

Good luck - have fun!

(edited mistake in identifying Hennings)
Edited by specksynder
01/01/2011 4:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4178 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all .....

Sooooo ..... lets clarify a few things to get you started ....

During WWII, the composition of a Jefferson nickel was changed to an alloy that contains 35% silver. These were minted from 1942 through 1945 and can be easily identified by the presence of an enlarged mintmark (P, D, or S) on the reverse above the dome of Monticello. I would keep all of these you find in your stash.

Outside of the war years ..... the remained of your Jefferson are an alloy consisting of 75% copper and 25% nickel ..... they may look silver in color but in fact are not.

Search the reverse of your 1939 (no mint mark) coins for signs of hub doubling. Also keep any 1939-D or 1939-S you come across.

Hope this helps to get you started.

Let us know what you find.

David

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1035 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  4:00 pm  Show Profile Check specksynder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL - "great minds..." nickelsearcher :)
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add allen4prez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you very much
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05