Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finding silver in circulation

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2011  10:00 pm Show Profile Check Bilboleslie's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Bilboleslie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am aware of only two countries where you can still pick silver out of circulation - USA and Canada.

Are there any others that you can think of where you can "regularly" find silver in change? Obviously, a silver coin - say, from Russia - might fit into the slot on a pop machine and appear someplace - but are there any other countries where it is still "routine?"

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2011  10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lewbo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question, I will be curious for the opinions/answers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2011  12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No
I searched worldcoins website awhile ago looking at coin compositions when I thought about buying a bag of 10,000 mixed world coins , The goal was to seperate and sell in smaller lots or one by one. Lots of world coins
Most countries ended silver mid 60's and early 70's for general circulation coins.

So if you do find a forgien silver coin it wil ether be NFC ( not intended for circulation)
or predates the 60-mid 70's
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2011  11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure what you mean by your post coppertop, since Canada and the USA also ended silver coins in the mid 1960s.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2304 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2011  2:14 pm  Show Profile Check carmykle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not found any silver in circulation for a long time. Only rarely will I find and old roll of dimes with some. Same with Quarters.
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2008 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2011  9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of $25k searched in 2010, I pulled close to 400 US silver coins from circulation.
Oldest dug 2014: 1851 LC
Oldest dug: 1758 Reale
Minelab Explorer 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2011  10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pulled 211 40% silver halves out of circulation in 2010. There is lots of silver still out there. The hard economic times is causing people to empty their change jars and dig those halves out of the dresser drawer.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12956 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2011  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I pulled 211 40% silver halves out of circulation in 2010. There is lots of silver still out there. The hard economic times is causing people to empty their change jars and dig those halves out of the dresser drawer.

Partially true. I suspect that the majority of any Silver or old coins in change is due to crime. Household, coin stores, coin show customers and coin show dealers going to and from shows are robbed frequently. There are so many home invasions going on due to the poor economy, that most are not even reported. In many areas the police departments don't record all the home robberies since they know nothing will ever be found from them. Also, this helps keep their statistics of crime in their areas down so they look good for the news media. In my area there have been two rather horrible home invasions and if anyone checks, they find no record of them happening in the police files. In both instances coins were the most valuable items stolen.
Criminals, as a rule, don't try to sell coins as coins. Most just dump in banks or those coin changing machines. Much faster and much less chances of being caught.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2011  12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nod203

I was thinking he mint maybe forgien coins that were still using silver in some countries as up to recent and were eazy to find in circulation.Like finding a random1999 silver 10 piece or 25 in other denominations around the world
every country has a history of coin melting , all the way back to the roman empire, as well as every country has a history removing gold and silver from circulation

As for even usa and candian silver its not a " regular find " kinda of thing
consider yourself lucky to find silver quarters and dimes in cicrulation.

the only ones I usually find in rolls are very dirty washingtons an rosies
so tarnished you cant tell they are silver at fist glance any more.

As for the silver halves 40%, up intill 2008 silver was $4 a ounce
40% silver half coins were worth around 59 cents melt each ,not even worth the effort at the time no dealers were paying above 50 cents for them

But with the silver rise I suspect some of those rolls and bags were rolled and bagged a few years ago just sitting in banks stockpiles collecting dust

W
Edited by coppertop5150
01/07/2011 01:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2008 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found 10 mercs and about 20 silver Canadian dimes, including a 1900 Vicky, out of $25K searched in 2010.
Minelab Explorer 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fist how the heck do you keep finding those mercs. I find roosevelts all day, but I might get 1 merc for every 10k I go through.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bowfin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the U.S. and Canada. I would imagine any country that changed only the metal in their coinage, might have a chance of some stray silver still floating around.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2008 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After 225 posts, you would think that I would know how to reply with a quote. No luck so far!
Ob, this year I searched 90 percent hand-rolled dimes.
The other 10 percent were String machine rolls. I found silver throughout the $25k. Two years ago, I found 6 Barbers in one String order of 12 boxes. Anything'z possible.
Living in Michigan gets me the silver Canadians, which to me, are a bigger thrill than the "common" merc. I will post a pic soon of this year's 18 silver Canadians, which range from 1900 to 1968. Found several from the 40's and 50's.
Minelab Explorer 2
Edited by fistfulladirt
01/08/2011 7:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't know the answer to the question about silver in other countries.....
But I really do wish I could consistently search Canadian coins.....and not JUST for silver.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3235 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2011  12:04 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can also keep your eyes peeled in Mexico for the original N$10 and N$20 pieces whose centres are sterling silver. While the $20 peso coin has been discontinued in favour of the polymer banknote, the $10 peso is still circulating well, (the $10 peso banknote is looong gone even before polymer) and it has tremendous buying power in small markets. Look for years 1992-1995 on the N$10 coin. Good luck finding a single $20 piece at all, for they were reissued in 2000 and 2001 with two different designs and then discontined (because they resembled the $10 coin way too much in size and design - and since its purpose was for small markets they can easily be confused in the fast-paced market). In fact, you'll be squinting real hard to find anything under 50 cents worth as well. The 20c, 10c, and 5c are laughable.

Hopefully I didn't derail this thread, however, I still think you can find silver in circulation down South of the borders.
Selling paper money: http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos (UNC): P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b.
Nickel, not Nickle :)
Edited by Libertad
01/09/2011 12:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
21729 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2011  11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After 225 posts, you would think that I would know how to reply with a quote. No luck so far!
Copy the text you want to quote, paste it into the reply box, and then put [quote] before it and [/quote] after it....

[quote]Quote me![/quote]

becomes...

Quote:
Quote me!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05