Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Canadian Nickels, dated 1955-1981. 99.9% pure nickel

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
bryan1234
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2011  10:18 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bryan1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was wondering if these could still be found in circulation, I would assume so as its been 30 yrs and we still find copper cents here but then im not from Canada. Also if anyone here is looking to sell some for spot or trade for silver look at the buy section

thanks,
Bryan

Valued Member
Canada
311 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2011  10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find these nickels all the time. I usually just spend them unless they are in great condition.

I think now maybe I should start hoarding them.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2011  10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bryan1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell you what if you get a bunch of them I will buy them by the lb around spot or if you get alot I will even trade silver for them. As long as you dont mind shipping to the us
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
604 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2011  9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hoard them by the thousands. There isn't a more perfect coin for metal hoarders: they are pure nickel (not an alloy), and each one weighs 4.54 grams - precisely 1/100 of a pound. Some days I roll search, every day I pick them out of my change and throw them in the "nickel jar".
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collectall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like 1cent and a lot of you,I am a hoarder of nickel also.In the last box of nickels from the bank,I ended up with 5 3/4 rolls of 1981 & prior +3 steel + 1 1935.Not the best of shape,but a keeper.Keep searching those rolls/boxes guys!
In answer YES there is still a lot of nickel out there.(At least in canada anyway.)
Edited by collectall
01/19/2011 1:43 pm
Valued Member
Canada
404 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add North of 49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stopped saving them a while ago, maybe I should start again while there is still lots out there.
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2011  6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add R2bR2c to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just going through a large box that I hadn't looked at in a while and found about $40 face silver that I wasn't even sure that I had (or forgotten) and about 300-400 nickles (not including any 70's) going back to '22. Many in the 30's/40's are AU or better and lots in the 50's that way, especially the 51's. I'm looking to offload, probably at Torex next month. I'm not going to sell them as scrap .. I'll need to find a collector or two. The silver will go to CAND this month in Hamilton.
Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2011  01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey R2bR2c, Just wondering how much is the price?
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2011  06:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add R2bR2c to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea what the 5 cent pieces are worth as I haven't gone through them date by date and estimated. For the silver, I'm looking at 90% scrap (I usually find dealers here will give 95% scrap, plus another 5% off for the wear on the coins. If the coins are all XF and above, I can usually get 95% but these aren't. I can give you a count of the 5 cents by decade if you think you may be interested.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2011  5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bowfin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hoard them by the thousands. There isn't a more perfect coin for metal hoarders: they are pure nickel (not an alloy), and each one weighs 4.54 grams - precisely 1/100 of a pound. Some days I roll search, every day I pick them out of my change and throw them in the "nickel jar".

Absolutely agree. Being .999 fine, they are true bullion coins. With nickel at $11.93 a pound, that gives them a melt value of over 11ยข each.

If I lived in Canada I would make a second career hoarding them.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2011  2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bryan1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im looking to buy them at around melt plus shipping or I will trade for some silver I have in the for sale section. Send me a pm if your interested in selling them off, im only interested in .999 nickels
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2011  9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add psi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone actively buy bulk .999 nickels in the Toronto area? I have a few boxes worth that I'd be interested to sell but I'm not confident to ship them.
Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2011  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinsoldier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several years ago, I purchased 10,000 of those from an estate sale for face value ($500.00). They are still in the boxes (total 100 pounds). How much should I expect to get for the entire lot? Would it be better to sell them by the pound (100 coin lots) on eBay? The few thet I looked at are in VF grade. According to what I was told, they are mainly from 1955 to 1975 and collected over that period.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8413 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2011  01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1cent is right on the ball. Go for it!

If the pure nickel coins are still found commonly in circulation, why, oh why hasn't the RCM withdrawn them and melted them?

Legally the population cannot do that, but the RCM can. Why haven't they? At 12.5 cents bullion value each, it makes no sense.
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2011  02:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickleHalfDime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They do, actually:

It's the "Alloy Recovery Program".

Alloy Recovery Program. It draws in truckloads of 'white' coins (25-cent pieces mainly, and 10-cent and five-cent coins) through coin-processing partners in key Canadian cities. The Mint has the coins melted, recovers the valuable nickel content, produces plated-steel replacement coins at a lesser cost and puts them back into circulation.

I found out about it here: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=79607
Valued Member
Canada
252 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add twoplustwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone actively buy bulk .999 nickels in the Toronto area? I have a few boxes worth that I'd be interested to sell but I'm not confident to ship them.

Did you have any luck finding someone in the Toronto area? I'd be interested as well.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05