Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 World Coins and Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

The hunt for the Korean silver half won is over - 1905-1908

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
gxseries
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2142 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2011  01:54 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I finally completed this difficult set when Korea was occupied under Japan back then. Japan was striking coins for Korea and as the economy in Japan struggles after the Russo-Japan war in 1904-5, the Korean coinage also takes a hit.

The first of the large size Korean won was struck in 13.5g planchets in 1905 and 1906.

In 1907, all silver and copper coinage had their contents reduced. This silver coin was reduced down to 10.0g. The half won was struck for another 2 more years and this is the end for this series.

So how tough are these coins? Quite.

Mintage are as follows:

1905 - 0.6 million
1906 - 1.35 million (Japanese sources quote 1.2 million)
1907 - 1 million
1908 - 1.4 million

For coins that were struck in terms of millions, there should be plentiful of these coins. Not so true. As the Japanese economy dives war after war, it is not known how much coins were recalled from Korea to be melted down. Even after the war, the Koreans were furiously getting rid of anything that had to do with Japanese occupation. It is not known how much of these coins survived, but I am suspecting that only a mere fraction did.

While these coins used to be common for sale, they seem to have vanished from the marketplace otherwise being pricy if you can find one. I find that the mintage doesn't really reflect how difficult it is to locate a couple of the years. I personally rate it as follows - 1906 being the easiest.

1906, 1907, 1908, 1905

Note that I rate 1908 coin harder to find than the 1907 despite the higher mintage.

Hope you enjoyed reading!

My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2011  02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add northwestseeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i always enjoy reading about history of world coins!
btw how much do you think the 1908 is worth
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2142 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2011  02:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the grade northwestseeker. I've never seen 1908 half won lower than XF and they often hit past 250-300usd. But that was a couple of years ago and prices have been steadily rising. I think I have a duplicate of 1906 and 1907 half won that I should get rid off as prices wouldn't be too bad right now to sell.

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2011  04:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluemule31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a unique collection.....something to really be proud of
Pillar Of The Community
France
1225 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2011  04:54 am  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great history and beautiful coins, thanks for sharing :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2011  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gxseries, you have a very nice collection! (If I need to salivate before a meal all I need to do is look at your Russian coins!)

Well, now that you "half won", it's just one more step to the full victory!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8392 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2011  8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gxseries: You have achieved what I have failed to do. I have indeed found these coins very tough to locate, I guess for the reasons you have indicated.
Congratulations!
Valued Member
Poland
314 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2011  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DagonX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful set!

DagonX
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1717 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2011  7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Handsome coins, indeed. Today's Korean coins, at least the lower denominations, are a pale echo of their coins of the past.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2142 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2011  6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just checked eBay - you can buy the entire date run of these half won coins right now. Price wise - it doesn't come cheap but they are quite nice.

Again, as these coins were struck during the Japanese occupation, these designs are clearly Japanese. It doesn't really reflect the Korean design back then. A more aspiring Korean design would have been something like this:

Struck in Korea although I'm not too sure who the designer is. Those two coins are even tougher to find than the half won coins.

Pillar Of The Community
Bulgaria
843 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2011  12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t0rress to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great coins
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05