Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cheapest way to ship items? How do you ship?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  03:00 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Are the flat rate padded envelopes and boxes for usps the cheapest way to ship? they are about $5.00 to ship an item. Does anyone ship for cheaper, or how do you guys ship items?

Oldest Coins Found in Circulation:
Cent: 1907 Indian (roll)
Nickel: 1916 Buffalo (roll)
Dime: 1926 Mercury (roll)
Quarter: 1941 Washington (bank tray)
Half: 1946 Walking Liberty (bank tray)
Dollar: 1971 Ike (bank tray)
Pillar of the Community
United States
5731 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  03:23 am  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For U.S. domestic mail, use a padded mailer (not flat rate) and PayPal Multi-Order Shipping. I can ship USPS 1st Class with Delivery Confirmation for under $2 if the item's under 4 ozs. You need a PayPal account and printer of course.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
where do you get the padded mailer from? I do have paypal but I am not familiar with shipping. so I dont know what steps to take to do this.

also, what if it is over 4 oz? what if it were a pound or something?
Oldest Coins Found in Circulation:
Cent: 1907 Indian (roll)
Nickel: 1916 Buffalo (roll)
Dime: 1926 Mercury (roll)
Quarter: 1941 Washington (bank tray)
Half: 1946 Walking Liberty (bank tray)
Dollar: 1971 Ike (bank tray)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2104 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris12018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can get padded mailers from Staples or other office supply stores. You pay by weight. Hope this helps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2677 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honks dollar store is trying to get rid of them since Christmas. Store here has zillions. 4 for 1.00. Walgreens wasn't cutting it @ 1.19 each.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  11:01 am  Show Profile Check weerdsteev's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add weerdsteev to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to eBay and do a search on "000 mailer". The first one I saw was for 100 of them for $15.99 with FREE SHIPPING. That's 16 cents each. You can get them even cheaper (per each) if you buy larger quantities.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5731 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  11:36 am  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
also, what if it is over 4 oz? what if it were a pound or something?

Use the USPS 1st Class rate up to 13 ozs; above 13 ozs and you have to switch to Priority Mail (then Flat Rate's best).

PayPal Multi-Order Shipping is located on your PayPal account's home page on the right hand hand side. It's pretty much self explanatory.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
India
265 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add palaniappan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
padded envelopes are safe, but when they are being sorted out the bubbles burst, then it becomes flat, hence by touching it we could feel the coin, hence I suggest you use the cardboard trick to pack coins. The cardboard does not reveal anything when touched.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2817 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G'day, having received quite a few small parcels from the U.S., I must say that USPS First Class is a lot quicker than priority.
Fedex is hopeless.
No experience of UPS, nor of any others.

Peter in Australia
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimineez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ship first class with my own packaging usually. Sometimes add insurance if it is several hundred dollars or more, but usually dont insure for full value, just enough to keep em honest. Never had any problems yet! Also add delivery confirmation sometimes.
Learn More...
United States
17172 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2011  02:06 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sometimes add insurance if it is several hundred dollars or more, but usually dont insure for full value, just enough to keep em honest. Never had any problems yet! Also add delivery confirmation sometimes.

I never had any problems in my first eleven years of online sales either. Since last November, always insuring for full value has saved me more than every cent I've spent on insurance since I started selling in 1999.

Delivery Confirmation on everything. It costs 19 cents through Paypal; that's a no-brainer.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
890 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2011  09:19 am  Show Profile Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDave,
When you ship via paypal and use the labelso you use 000 mailer. If so how d0 you get the label to fit?
When I tried it the label was larger then the mailer...
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
2104 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2011  09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris12018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
SuperDave,
When you ship via paypal and use the labelso you use 000 mailer. If so how d0 you get the label to fit?
Thanks

Cut the maximum you can off the label.

Also, when you use the cardboard trick as mentioned above by palaniappan, tape it closed on all sides and put your return address on it just in case your mailer gets ripped open. Now w/ the contents label you have a better chance of getting it back.
Learn More...
United States
17172 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2011  09:42 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
SuperDave,
Thanks

Re-orient the address parallel to the shorter edge. USPS calls this "irregular," but when shipping a coin via First Class Mail, Paypal doesn't charge more for the weight class and envelope size.

You could also force your printer to think it's a smaller paper size, and it'll scale the print down.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2013  1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stev18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this is the right thread...

How are people cheaply shipping a single coin, like a U.S. cent? It would be $1.68 in a padded mailer and that might exceed the value of the cent or make it tough to entice a buyer with another few dollars of shipping...
Pillar of the Community
United States
615 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2013  1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HippieOutcast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ship in a padded bubble 4X8 mailer. USPS first class at the PO is $1.95, otherwise if you purchase postage through eBay and Paypal, it would be $1.64 I believe. I refuse to send coins in just an envelope.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05