Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How do you sell your copper pennies, and at what price?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  01:06 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So I have no been saving copper pennies because I do not want to sell on eBay, shipping would be too much and not worth my time. so at the moment I just toss coppers back to the bank. do any of you sell copper pennies in bulk to people in your town? if so how did you find them? I just posted an ad on craigslist to see if anyone near me wants to buy bulk coppers but I dont know if it will work.
anyways, let me know your stories and how you got your customers. and at what price you sell 5000 coppers to them for?

thanks,
-michael

Oldest Coins Found in Circulation:
Cent: 1907 Indian (roll)
Nickel: 1916 Buffalo (roll)
Dime: 1926 Mercury (roll)
Quarter: 1941 Washington (bank tray)
Half: 1946 Walking Liberty (bank tray)
Dollar: 1971 Ike (bank tray)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For one, what part of the country are you in? You would be surprised how many buyers you might have in your area. I usually sell at least $50 at a time. The most that I, personally, sell is $75 face at a time. The post office has flat rate boxes that work out just fine. I know some that can jam $100 face into that box...but there is a 70lb. max shipping weight. $100 face is around 68lbs. The cost to ship these medium flat rate boxes, as of last week, was $10.70. Tracking will cost you another $0.95 I think. You can easily find buyers at 1.5 cents each and even higher plus the shipping. You can drop me a PM and I might be able to set you up with a buyer depending on where you are at.
I'm in a TRADING mood.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an interesting thread. I didn't realize people actually bought copper cents for their copper value. Crazy. Good luck, Murrellington. I would have gone the Craigslist route myself. It seems to work for just about anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  03:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i live in san diego.
5000 pennies is $50 face, how much would you sell that for locally? and how much would you sell that for on eBay, if you include shipping in the price? I forgot about flatrate shipping, which could be a good deal for shipping heavy copper.

do you think it would be easy to find buyers near me, or should I go the eBay route?

HoosierDaddy: do you sell online or locally?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  03:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a local buyer...but the rest is online. I know quite a few buyers in Cali. If you're serious...send me a PM and I'll see what I can do! The local buyers will eliminate the shipping and a cash payment is always better than paypal or a money order!
I'm in a TRADING mood.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ebay seems a little flat right now...just do a search for copper bullion and pennies.
I'm in a TRADING mood.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  03:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i'll pm you right now about it :) thanks.

also, for people who ship flat rate how do you do it? keep the pennies in the $25 boxes and fit those in the flat rate box? or do you just pour all the pennies in the flat rate box? or put them in a bag first?
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wolverine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ebay is worth it. I sell copper all the time on there. Last month I sold $50 face for $126 plus $12 for shipping. Take out the eBay and paypal fees I still profited over $50 on it. You will double your money, just find the right size sale.$5 auctions I find are not worth it, $25 ones are good and if you pack it right it will fit into a small flat rate box.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it looks like $50 face is selling for about 85 to 100 including shipping. am I missing something? how did you get so much?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  07:41 am  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Selling $100 FV on eBay..they fit in a medium flat rate box. Have one ending tomorrow about this time.Last two bags brought $362.To me, it's just a by product of my roll searching, so whatever profit I get is great.
Lincolncentresource.net
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just can't get over eBay's seller fees though. selling $100 FV for $167, how much is the fees? isn't it like 12%, so $20?
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Michael_T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am one of those people HOARDING them.
I have already sold my silver bars.

(sniff, sniff..... wiping away a tear...)

Pillar of the Community
United States
2676 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus paypal fees. I'm waiting for the go-ahead, just met an eBay seller with a smelter in Fruitland. He sells platinum & palladium as well as silver casting shot. He gets his cat. converters from ads on Craig's.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  09:43 am  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fees including paypal are 12%...unless you have a Powerseller discount...but like I said....it's all profit to me anyway...I could burn $20 in gas real quick on any kind of delivery. My Post Office is 1 mile away
Lincolncentresource.net
Pillar of the Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just sold a $25 box of coppers on eBay for $50. shipp was $10.60 for med flat rate box. so total was $60.60.. but I still made $25 profit...
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2011  1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah it seems like a lot of it has to do with lot size. it looks like it's really beginning to catch on. I've been watching eBay pennies for a while now.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05