Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has anyone ever made a mold of a coin?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2011  9:57 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add xphobe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I want to try casting a copy of a coin in some material like plastic or plaster. Has anyone ever made a 2-sided mold (mould) of a coin? What did you use? I was thinking about silicone caulk, but not sure if it would stick to the coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
835 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2011  10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a Hobby Lobby around, you can get a "molding" kit. The product is called Alumilite. You can check on-line also (at the same name) .com. I used their kit for other things with nice results, but it is kind of expensive.

I would be cautious of using anything on a good coin. You may want to try experimenting with a coin that you don't mind possibly ruining. Kind of like the warnings you see on products that say "test in an inconspicuous area first" same principle.
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2011  10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CEOcoinshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Secret Service would like to know... why you want to mold a coin?
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2011  10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Foolsgold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used silly putty as a kid
Pillar of the Community
United States
2668 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2011  10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We'd use rubber cement, but that will straight tear a coin up.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2011  11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add xphobe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out Hobby Lobby. Don't worry, I don't plan to do this to a good coin!

I never thought about silly putty! That would work pretty well, actually.

CEOcoinshop: The Secret Service wants to eat my chocolate dollars?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8751 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep! I sure have! I wanted a copy of a Roman gold aureus to put in my album to keep at home, because the original coin was stored in a safe deposit box at the bank.

I pressed the original into some aluminium foil, to get two images, one of the obverse and one of the reverse. I had some pure tin left over from the making of a polishing lap used for gem cutting. I poured a small amount of molten tin (has a low melting point) into each mold. On cooling, the images in tin were reduced to about 3/4 mm, then glued together with Araldite. When that had hardened I dipped the copy into gold paint. When that had dried a few days later, the copy went into a 2x2 holder, and the original returned to the bank.

Very obviously a copy, which is exactly what I intended.
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a Ike dollar cent piece and lubed it with wd-40 whiped it down. Took little wood box filled it with car bondo and pressed the Ike in it made a obverse mold knocked the bondo out of the box after it hardened. It was rubbery but was ok for a mold. I took liquid metal car body filler in a tube poured/smeared it in let it harden it turned grey lightly twisted the mold coin popped out .
My dad helped me with all this

Had a rough copy of a ike sanded it down onthe outside to round it off spray painted it silver
Made around 10 of them for a glued to a belt that went across my chest

Then had " the million dollar man " wrestling belt as a kid to were for halloween.

When you grow up in the country and poor you have to be creative your you will end up with a white sheet and a ghost costume every year
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  04:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ordinary moulding clay used by kids, and plain epoxy to set on the molded clay. This is good only for one side

casting both sides and coming out with a replica coin... well

great to know if one comes out with an easy solution
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12832 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Secret Service would like to know... why you want to mold a coin?

I would think it's the US Mint Police.
Depending on just how nice a copy you want to make, try just pushing a coin into some Aluminum Foil. Of course this will give you only one side so you would have to do it on both sides. Rub the Foil real tightly and a really nice copy will appear on the Foil. Now pending on what you want to use, you can make some almost copies. If you have some Solder, melt it and pour into the Foil. Or take some 5 minute epoxy, mis with silver paint, pour into the foil. After you make both sides, just glue together.
If you use the hot Solder or Lead, make sure you place the Foil on a wooden block.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11120 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  12:45 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
why you want to mold a coin?

To make chocolate copies of course
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CEOcoinshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just Carl,
The Mint Police, do just that.... Police the Mint.
Counterfeit money, coin or bills, are handled by the Secret Service. I have been to classes at Long Beach and other major shows, sponsored by the Secret Service on counterfeit detection, and such.
I have a coin shop, and according to the law, whenever we buy or receive counterfeit money, we are to "immediately surrender it" to the Secret Service.
Edited by CEOcoinshop
02/09/2011 2:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CEOcoinshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mmmmm chocolate.

How do I make the box with someone's quote?
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How do I make the box with someone's quote?

You highlight what you want to quote then right click and copy it and you can either type out this at the beginning [quote]paste the part you want to quote here[/quote] or you can just click the icon that looks like a piece of paper with a red arrow on it if you click the "reply to topic" link and then paste the part you want to quote in the middle of the [quote][/quote] that button makes
Learn More...
United States
21460 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...whenever we counterfeit money...
I hope you forgot a word there!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CEOcoinshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YUP... whenever we BUY.....
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05