Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver 5 Francs, 1869 - Belgium (Possible Error?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
459 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  11:50 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kingz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I bought this big silver coin recently on eBay, for little under spotprice around $19 dollar (converted from €14). But in the Krause the coin is waaaay cheaper and it starts at: 6.50(F) 8.00(VF) 30.00(XF) 65.00(UNC)

But how is that possible, since there is 22,5 gr. Pure silver in it. The silverprice should be really low, would someone pay $6,50
How can you put a price on coins like this, besides looking at the current price for silver?

Also I was wondering what grade you guys would give this coin, and is it possible that it has a (die) error at the rim below? Or might it be a repunched date, or doubbled die? And are those spots dirt / patina / verdigris / corrosion, and do they affect price in general?

Sorry for all my noob questions...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9800 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Krause catalogues aren't accurate to present bullion prices. At best, they are ball-park estimates of value in the US. I know that plenty of world coins bring better prices in their own countries.

Interesting doubling on the date. Since I see similar doubling on the wreath, I suspect this happened when struck--it's called "machine doubling" by US collectors. However, that little nob to the right of the base of the 1 could be a mistakenly punched digit. During this time, dates were usually added to dies at the last step. If the date was positioned wrong, they would polish off the mistake and punch the date again. Often, there is some sign of the previous date left. As an example, here is a Swedish 5 Ore coin with remnants of a 7 underneath the 8:

Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norseman012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a nice coin no matter how you look at it and as far as a grade is concerned I would grade your coin as a high end EX-Fine to anything up to a highend AU-50 to 55. I think you made a good deal.

Edited by norseman012
02/09/2011 5:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9800 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I did not grade your coin because I'm unfamiliar with these--but it looks to be in the same range--probably better!
Valued Member
Netherlands
459 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2011  8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kingz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, really appreciate the input I knew it would be a decent grade.... but XF / AU

I was still wondering though how about the rim, because there is also something what looks like those dots are struck through at the rim itself
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05