Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found a 1973 S Lincoln on the ground :)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  1:29 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi, went out to my mailbox and spotted a penny on the ground so
picked it up and after giving it a bath I saw it was a 1973 S cent.
Cool :) It has some verdigris on the back unfortunately but the obverse looks pretty good shape.

I checked Coopercoins and there aren't any listings for varieties or errors for them. Too bad!

I seem lucky at finding S cents up here in change or rolls, now on the ground too, but I notice that in all the coins I've searched I haven't found any S coins after about 1975. Are the newer years harder to find in change, or am I just not finding them myself?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timsumrall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only proofs where minted after 1975. No business strikes for S mints. Unlikely you will find these in circulation.

http://www.coincommunity.com/us_sma...memorial.asp
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LastGold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dottir:

The only cents minted for circulation with the "S" mint in the Memorial series were 1968 through 1974.

Can't figure out how you get so many "S" mint coins so far from San Francisco. I get only about 5 Canadian cents per 10,000 down here in San Diego.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that's all really interesting then!! I'll have to check my S coins again to double check and remember the years I have. I'll post a list here as I have found a few over the last few weeks so its time to note them and add them to my list I guess.

I'll also make note of what years they were minted for circulation so I have that reminder and recognize the others are proofs then :)

I don't know why I find so many S coins up here either, but I like that I do
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok here we go, all the S one cents I have. I also have a few other S coins, not many, but will only list the pennies here. The three 1919 S and the 35/39 S came from others, the rest I found in my change or rolls, and the 73S on the ground today of course :D I could have sworn I had a 1975 S too, but guess not

My "S" Coins

1919 S x3
1935 S
1939 S
1942 S
1944 S
1951 S
1968 S x2
1969 S x2 one corroded badly
1970 S x5
1971 S x3
1972 S x3
1973 S x2
1974 S
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
640 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dottir : that's pretty nice. S mintmark coins always have an eye appeal (perhaps I like the letter S. :))
Keep on collecting. :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Molydeii :) I really like finding them and will definately keep collecting. My surname, and my Mom's maiden name start with S's, so I like S coins for that too
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6034 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  4:48 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Dottir, Have you checked your 1970S for the small date?
True North
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did look at all 5 of them, and have scanned and posted some in here, but don't know which ones I scanned I'll scan the lot fresh today and look at them all together to see. If in doubt, I'll post the images. I don't know why it's so hard for me to notice the differences
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11435 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  7:46 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's actually quite amazing! To find a 73-S, which is the second lowest mintage Memorial cent at 319 million, in CANADA, and on the ground in front of your house.....WOW! To put it in further perspective, I've only found perhaps 10-15 73-S's in all of my roll searching. They are scarce here in Cincinnati.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Valued Member
Canada
162 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Meldude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found one in change at Mcdonalds . I live in Canada too. It was a 1971 S AU-ish.
EDIT: I have misplaced it somewhere...
Edited by Meldude
02/14/2011 8:11 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05