Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What do you know about NGA

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2011  12:34 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add basement slab to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Who has experience with NGA? Anyone heard of 1897-O Morgan Silver Dollar mS66 by NGA? Purported price: $250. Any idea of the true value?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5730 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2011  03:35 am  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True value of an 1897-O in MS66 is over $50,000. Never heard of NGA but it's a safe bet that this coin is not mint state and maybe not even an genuine 1897-O, which is very rare above MS63 preservation.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2011  10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got a link to a picture? I don't seem to have NGA listed in my files. (Of course it is possible I have one and haven't gotten pictures of it yet.)
Valued Member
Guatemala
357 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2011  11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JMerrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Condor,

Here's a picture of an NGA slab at random, if that's what you're looking for. If not, I'll delete the post.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2011  6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, that was what I needed. Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2011  2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chaser to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw NGA on eBay and thought they were a basement operation since no info was available.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12917 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2011  08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This company uses a holder very similar to GEC and CSI and either they are the same company, under a different name, or they purchase their holders from the same company as GEC and CSI.

No information on this grading company. Any TPGS without a website, address, phone number or email are usually "self-slabbers" who grade their own coins, sell them, and don't accept submissions from the general public. These companies are not recommended unless one can tell, first-hand, that the coin is authentic, is problem free (not cleaned or damaged), and graded appropriately.

Quoted from Google.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2011  06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They aren't the same companies, the shells are marketed by CSI who developed them. CSI started out as a company making NGC type shells and a wider range of multicoin holders than NGC did. Then they developed the slab shell seen above and began running their own grading service. After a little while they began marketing it to other companies that wanted to do their own grading services. I have currently seen about six different firms that use the CSI type shell. Frankly it is a pretty decent shell.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05