Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

silver coin corrosion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2011  8:37 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add spaceace to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I purchased a capped bust quarter with a minor amount of corrosion only on the reverse (dark carbon-type almost crusty appearance to the spots, not just toning) It will reside in my dansco album and I wanted to know if it would cause a problem in there with other type coins (copper, zinc, silver, etc)? I know some of the verdigris on copper coins can spread and transfer to other coins but what about corrosion on silver coins? Would it affect other coins near it or is the separation in a Dansco album enough to prevent transferring verdigris or corrosion problems? (FYI, I don't plan on upgrading this coin so it won't be pulled and replaced with another coin).

Edited by spaceace
03/01/2011 8:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12784 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2011  8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not. Although whatever caused that might still be on the coin and could further create more of that corrosion appearance. Best bet would be to dip it in Acetone and then distilled water.
It is odd that most Silver problems are simply from Oxydation or Nitrates but so far I don't think anyone really knows what causes the so called milky staining. If yours is as you said, crusty and dark, sounds like some sort of Nitrate and the Acetone should stop any further problems. The main thing is with Silver is what your mentioning is already into the Silver of the coin and even if somehow removed, part of the Silver will be lost too. Usually removing such corrosions leave actual holes where it was.
Now you'll have to rememver not to turn the page and look at the reverses though.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2011  8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spaceace to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info justcarl. That is what I was hoping. I am ok with the corrosion on the quarter, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause a problem with the other coins in the album. I may treat the corrosion with acetone or maybe even get some VerdiCare to arrest the corrosion.

So an acetone dip, then quick distilled water rinse, and then air dry before putting in the album would be the best bet?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12784 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2011  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So an acetone dip, then quick distilled water rinse, and then air dry before putting in the album would be the best bet?

True. However, I suggest you do a Search on the tab at the top for Acetone usage and testing for purity first. Always best to be safe, not sorry. And really make sure the coin is dry.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11271 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2011  10:43 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have to differ with carl here, always use acetone LAST to completely dehydrate the surfaces. Water is the catylst for corrosion so removing all traces of it will essentially halt the corrosion process. Use water first to solubilize any inorganic salts, a good 24 hour soak, followed by an hour or so in acetone to dehydrate.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05