Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1981p gold kennedy half dollar with 3 dates

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2011  10:15 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add trish r to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a gold plated/colored 1981p Kennedy half dollar,but it also has the dates 1960 and 1985 as well as 1981 on the obverse side,the reverse(eagle) is upside down, I hope someone here will be able to ASSIST ME WITH SOME INFORMATION!The 1960 date is left at the chin on kennedys' bust,and the 1985 date is at the bottom of bust on the right.I tried topload photo but was unable todo so.

United States
44 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2011  10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hybrid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these counter stamped coins are made out side of the mint to commemorate significant passages of time from less than honorable coin distributors not really adding value to the coin I personally have a 1960 1980 counter stamped Kennedy half

Edited by hybrid
03/07/2011 10:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2011  4:04 pm  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, these are souvenirs with damage (the stamped-in dates) and are plated with a microscopic amount of gold. They are worth $0.50. Maybe if you had a huge pile of them it might we worth trying to reclaim the gold. When I run across these I just deposit them at the bank with all the rest of my spare change.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2011  12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Yep...the answers are accurate. These things are found fairly often and the dates can vary. Some use 1960 as a way to commemorate Kennedy's Inauguration. So the 1980 date is a 20 year span and the 1985 is a 25 year span.

They were made outside of the Mint and are novelties that have no numismatic value. The gold is usually about 3/1000ths of an inch thick, if it is even gold. The value of the gold is less than 20 cents.

It's a novelty but that's about it.

The eagle is supposed be upside down in relation to the obverse. That is called coin orientation and that is how the dies are set up to strike coins in the U.S.

Have Fun,
Bill
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2011  11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rawmeat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
these counter stamped coins are made out side of the mint to commemorate significant passages of time from less than honorable coin distributors not really adding value to the coin I personally have a 1960 1980 counter stamped Kennedy half

My dad was roll searching and had a whole roll full of these. He had them in a bag when I saw him today and he wanted to know what they were. I didn't know what to tell him. Now I know. Sort of. I mean, if they are not made by the mint, are they money? Are they legal to spend as 50 cent pieces (or dump back at the bank) if they are not worth anything.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2011  10:19 am  Show Profile Check Dave42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dave42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The original coin itself was made at the mint and is legal tender. It's just the gold plating and extra dates that were applied outside of the mint. So they are still worth 50 cents each if you took them to the bank.

Dave
Pillar of the Community
United States
516 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2011  10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found one of these in circulation (Dated 1988 and had "1960 1985" engraved on it) and after I showed it to my local coin dealer (Who explained that the coin was plated with gold), I spent it. I don't know where it ended up today, maybe in some vault or someone's collection of coins.
Oldest Finds in Circulation:
Cent-1891
Nickel-1905
Dime-1899
Quarter-1893
Half-1936
Dollar-1923
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2011  1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eagle79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just found a 1981-D gold half dollar, but there are no other dates on it. Interesting.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05