Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974-D DDO Kennedy Half from the bank

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  02:01 am Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'd rather find silver, but I always check the '74-D halves for the well-known doubled die obverse (as listed in the Red Book). This appears to be the elusive beast, only the second one I've ever found. Once they pick up some wear they're not that easy to see but hopefully these photos are clear enough to confirm the variety.

Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cud Wild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent find....but do you check:

1971 D
1972D
1973D
1977D

and any 40% or 90% Kennedys for doubled dies?

All those listed have excellent potential. Just check the motto the same way you do for the 1974 D.

Thanks,
Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice score! Can easily see the doubling. Even though they are "common", they are still a lot of fun to find!
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peaceman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What kind of premium does this get? I go through 16k halves a month... maybe I should start looking...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2390 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats that's it! 74D DDO is not that common, at least in all the seacrhing I've done. I've been searching for 10+ years and only have a few.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  2:29 pm  Show Profile Check liveandievarieties's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add liveandievarieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circulated examples of the '74-D DDO half sell on eBay for under $10. No single doubled die is "common", but this one is plentiful for sure. With persistence, you'll find them in rolls. It can also be found in 1974 Mint Sets. In BU the coin can go for $30 on up, way up for high grade slabbed examples.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly don't mean to make the sound common, by any means. But, there are an awful lot of them out there suppressing values on what is otherwise a beautiful DDO.

When you have a nice example to examine, the doubling all around the entire obverse is stunning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me clarify my question. There are excellent doubled dies on all the dates that I listed as I have examples of each here. Do you look for anything more than the 1974 D DDO?

Thanks,
Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  11:15 pm  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you look for anything more than the 1974 D DDO?

Yes, I always at least glance at RUS for signs of doubling but I'm extra careful on the 1974-D and of course any 1964 coins I find. I came across this 1964-D years ago and I think I recall that Foundinrolls himself said it was a tripled die. Long ago I did find one other 1974-D DDO in pretty bad shape but never any other dates. I'll keep looking!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2011  01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll see yours and raise you two:-) That's just a joke.

BUT...Some of these things can be so weird that I can't count the doublings. I call this one an MDO, multiple die obverse. I can't decide if it is five or six doublings. This is a 1964 D Kennedy.

That's why I suggest checking them all. You can find great coins if you know to look for them.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11974 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2011  11:41 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill: Is the reverse a RPM? It could be a TDO?

Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2011  10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop...I have the TDO also....the one I pictured has far more doubling than the TDO
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05