Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Precious Metals and Bullion - Gold, Silver, Copper, Platinum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Johnson Matthey Silver Rounds - Bill of Rights Complete Set

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
tripncoins
Pillar Of The Community
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2011  5:42 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add tripncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Alright, once again I was in my dealer shop just looking around and I purchased 10 Johnson Matthey Bill Of Rights coins. Each coin has its own description.

I thought they were pretty cool and he told me these were a little rare due to the fact they are a sealed complete set, never opened. And he said they are in excellent shape (no tarnish either)

I walked out picking up 26 oz of silver today @ 41.25 cents per ounce.

Question to the forum: Has anyone seen these coins before? And are they hard to find? I looked on eBay and they are certainly going higher than what I paid today.

Thanks for any input, advice or comments.

Edited by tripncoins
04/13/2011 6:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2011  6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ayejay1974 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Johnson Matthey is one of the most respectable and sought after bullion producers. Like Engelhard, JM items usually carry a bit of a premium. You see sets of these every so often, just not "that" often. Most of the time you see singles. With today's spot price of silver, that was a good buy on your part.
Valued Member
United States
444 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2011  6:45 pm  Show Profile Check rastatodd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rastatodd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I own 3 or four of them. Think they were minted in the 80's. Now correct me if I'm wrong but did Johnson Matthey discontinue producing silver bars and rounds of any size?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2011  7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tripncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rastatodd - Yes that is correct. No new Johnson Matthey silver bars have been poured since the mid 1980's.
Valued Member
United States
444 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2011  7:21 pm  Show Profile Check rastatodd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rastatodd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tripncoins,
Some of the premiums their getting for any kind of Johnson Matthey silver whether it be round or bar. Is about equal to or worse than the premiums one pays for ASE, now a days.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2011  7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tripncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RastaTodd - He had these sealed ones sitting next to his generic silver rounds. He was asking all of them for the same price. It didn't matter if it was an Engelhard Prospector or JM rounds. Even some generic ingots / art bars / 3 oz generic bars / 5 oz generic bars and rounds were all the same price. I took the best of the lot I think. Some were really beat up. He offered me an ASE for the same price but it was scratched up and he considered it just silver (I passed on it) - then again I've never owned an ASE and just for grins, perhaps I should have taken it. This was the ONLY sealed one in that massive tray of random silver. I might go back and pick up the rest of the Engelhard Prospectors. Who knows. I need to take a break.
Edited by tripncoins
04/13/2011 7:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2665 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2011  8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these rounds are neat, owned a few before.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2011  9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ayejay1974 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can get the prospectors for the same price, by all means go back and get them.
Valued Member
Canada
442 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2011  9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vinnycoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
geez, your dealer has some of the coolest stuff!! congratz on the new investment!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2011  9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, I like those! Never seen them before, I agree with all that those are a solid smart buy. It seems like a no brain-er to me to go Engelhard or JM. Sure the carry a higher premium, but hey are sought after and will always fetch a nice premium later I think most would agree....

Plus any rare complete silver set of high quality .9999 is just a good buy IMO....

I don't know about the rest of ya, but I feel like I am takin the dealer to the cleaners by trading him those fading dollars for that nice silver....
Edited by Silverhawk74
04/13/2011 9:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2011  7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tripncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did pick up Prospectors that day & a 10 oz JM Bar. Glad I did, silver did nice for today :)
Edited by tripncoins
04/14/2011 7:45 pm
Valued Member
Canada
442 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2011  10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vinnycoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
indeed, one can't complain about a dollar half increase!

unless of course you're like me who still needs more!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2011  11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know about the rest of ya, but I feel like I am takin the dealer to the cleaners by trading him those fading dollars for that nice silver.... - Silverhawk

That's what makes for a great bargain... when both parties walk away feeling good and thinking the same thing.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05