Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question on 1/2 pound Giant Golden Eagles?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2011  10:28 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add danmc00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have run across what I think is a good deal, but it's hard to tell for someone that is new to all this.
A friend of mine just inherited a Washington Mint mahogany box filled with five half pound Golden Eagles. Dated 1991-1995. They are in air tight cases. It's says half pound of fine silver on the back of the coin and they are gold plated. I have done some research online, but haven't found much information on how to confirm if they are real. I will try to get back by his house to take some pics. But I just wanted to know if anyone has any information on these and how to confirm if they are real.

Thanks for any pointers.

***Moved by Staff to the PM Forum***

Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2011  1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidZerbato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't sound like they are from the US Mint as I've never heard of the mint gold plating a coin and as far as I know, have never produced any coin larger than 5oz. Sounds like they are from some third party "mint." As far as if they are real, I can't help you there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5784 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2011  1:32 pm  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are likely gold plated silver pieces. Most are authentic and should be clearly marked 999 Fine Silver and the weight. Post some pics when you can.

I'm moving this to the PM Forum also.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2011  1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LowLife to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, definitely 3rd party.

Also...key thing to verify on these if they are true 1/2 pound (8 oz) or 1/2 Troy pound (6 oz) coins. They are worth melt value of .999 silver....I don't know of any "premium" they demand.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2011  2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ayejay1974 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does this help?

http://the-gold-market.blogspot.com...n-eagle.html

There is also a youtube video at the bottom.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2011  3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Washington Mint mahogany box filled with five half pound Golden Eagles

If I am not mistaken this is the mint that produced these items. This is the silver version http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=69080 and they probably just took these and gold plated them
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2011  4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ayejay1974 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close Bryan, but these have the St. Gaudens design. Minted by the Washington Mint(private company not associated with the U.S. mint)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2011  11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A troy half pound is 6 oz obviously as mentioned above and since you said the coin says half pound of .9999 troy silver, it must be 6 oz.. So here is what you have I bet below minus this one being 8 oz, and they bring a nice price....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-8-TR-OZ-99...em4aaa585c4c

And here is a 6 oz one, not plated gold however, but should give you an idea of there value....

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-SILVER-AME...em19c4eff03b

Funny, on those 8 oz silver coins, the dealers have them listed as half pound, when they should be listed as over a half pound of troy silver.....
Edited by Silverhawk74
04/22/2011 11:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2011  11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^^^ The bottom link is for six 1 ounce pieces. The round is 8 ounces...

Quote:
Here is a couple of lines from the Washington Mint (Collectible America) site;

"Here at Collectible America, we have discovered that many of our customers are not readily familiar with Troy weights, which is why we have chosen to strike our Half Pound Silver Eagles to a full 8 troy ounces (even though a Half Troy pound is actually only 6 oz.)."
GoldRush58
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2011  11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops, you are right IBgolden, 6 1 oz rounds on that bottom link, but the first link should be exactly what you have danmc00....

Good call IBgolden that clears up much confusion there, leave it to humans to create unneeded confusion. So his half pounders are actually 8 oz, better for him. That guy I listed the link to on eBay has a starting bid of 800, and yet I calculate about 375 bucks worth of spot silver there, so perhaps they are dreamin for a bid there at $425 over spot. The gold plating is not that much gold, many experts here will tell you that you can take a gram of gold and pound it out into many square feet, not sure of exact figure....
Edited by Silverhawk74
04/22/2011 11:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2011  12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... well, I 'spose there's always hope of an uninformed buyer. But I'm sure eBay appreciates the fees they collect when overpriced stuff is run through time and time again. btw, pure gold can be pounded/applied to windows/glass for a film that is so thin you can see through it. When getting to these miniscule/atomic thicknesses, to speculate on how far a material can be spread, well, uhm... it's like alot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2011  12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like those 8 oz gold plated silver gems and had a bunch saved in watch lists until I recently deleted, as they are so high over spot and costly. Still would like to get a few eventually, but I don't know if I want to get to many. Maybe a Buffalo design, or Morgan, or Libertad, would be cool to have, but way costly, and not easy to resale a high priced item like that always. The Lincoln penny design is pretty cool as well that size....

I am actually trying to put myself on a 1 to 5 oz limit on coin size, as a 5 oz lunar landing 35th anniversery is my largest silver coin to date....
Edited by Silverhawk74
04/23/2011 12:20 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2011  02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those coins look genuine to me but then most coins do... genuine or not!

Maybe it would be prudent to see if a magnet sticks to them?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05