Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian $200 gold coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Cyprus
349 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  02:05 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ozzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi folks,

I see that these coins sell over bullion price. They weigh 10 grams and are 916 gold.

Any ideas how collectible these coins are?

What is the usual premium over spot one should pay for these?

Regards,
Ozzie

Pillar of the Community
United States
5681 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  02:16 am  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are essentially 1/4oz gold pieces and have been selling on eBay for about 20% over melt lately ($450 USD).
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
Poland
114 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Murazor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Their value is highly the collectible one for the later ones. The price depends highly on a specific coin but for the ones dated 1990-1994 everything below 400AUD should be considered a very good price. Earlier ones could be cheaper, but not very much.

Edit: latest eBay prices for the gold $200 platypus (I'm most interested in for obvious reasons) were 420-440AUD
Edited by Murazor
05/10/2011 02:34 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8719 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  03:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a complete set of six proof $200 gold Pride of Australia coins. They were given to me.

Each coin 10 grammes of .9167 gold. AGW for the six coins 1.768 ounces. At $1500 /oz., bullion value $2,650. These coins are a Cinderella unfortunately, and don't command much premium above bullion value. Say, $3,000 for the set if you can find a buyer.

Year mintage Reverse design
1989 10,000 unc Frill Necked Lizard
1989 24,376 proof
1990 8,340 unc Platypus
1990 14,616 proof
1991 6,879 unc Emu
1991 9,560 proof
1992 3,935 unc Echidna
1992 5,921 proof
1993 3,014 unc Squirrel Glider
1993 5,000 proof
1994 4,000 unc Tasmanian Devil
1994 4,000 proof

As can be seen from the declining mintages year on year, they were not taken up by collectors, and the aftermarket premium has always remained small.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1962 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  5:32 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these things legal tender? If so they appear to be a much better investment than gold american eagles simply because of the high denomination to bullion ratio they have. I dont think I've seen a coin with a higher ratio.
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Learn More...
Australia
11175 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, they are legal tender. The Australian gold $200 began in 1980, right at the peak of the last gold boom. $200 wasn't considered a high face value at the time.

Of course, shortly afterwards, the price of gold collapsed again to be near face value for these coins. Indeed, it eventually fell below face value and many collector-investors took their coins to the bank rather than the coin or bullion dealers.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1962 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  10:57 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome! A modern gold coin thats actually seen circulation, I doubt any other country has such a coin. The hedge potential on these things is simply amazing, you really cant find it on any other denomination in any country (for gold at least).
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8719 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2011  12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a relative who cashed in eight $200 gold coins at their face value at the bank some years ago. At that time, the bullion value of the coins was well below their face value.

Currently, the bullion value of each coin is a little over AUD $400. Nobody cashes them in now!
Learn More...
Australia
11175 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2011  03:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, many unwary and far-too-trusting banks were caught out redeeming counterfeits, too. That's one of the reasons why nobody has such high-denomination circulating coins in everyday use. I think most of the banks eventually instituted policies that your money isn't made available to you until the mint verifies that the coins were genuine.

The high redemption rate also makes it impossible to determine the actual surviving numbers of these coins; the mintages are almost irrelevant for this purpose.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Cyprus
349 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2011  05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ozzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and thanks for all of your replies. It sounds like these could be a good way to own gold coins if you can get them cheap enough.
Valued Member
Poland
114 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2011  03:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Murazor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Australian gold $200 began in 1980, right at the peak of the last gold boom. $200 wasn't considered a high face value at the time.

Of course, shortly afterwards, the price of gold collapsed again to be near face value for these coins. Indeed, it eventually fell below face value and many collector-investors took their coins to the bank rather than the coin or bullion dealers.

[...]

The high redemption rate also makes it impossible to determine the actual surviving numbers of these coins; the mintages are almost irrelevant for this purpose.

Very interesting remarks, Sap! I hope you don't mind I quoted you on my web page...

By the way it always seem to me that there is less 1990 gold platypuses available in shops and on auction services than it would be if their total mintage was really nearly 23000. It may be partially due to that effect. I blamed mostly small initial selling volume (resulting in lowering the mintage of 1991 emu to ~15400.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2011  08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add west point coinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they might be worth a lot because of the gold but forign coins arn't worth a lot. Are you sure they are gold?!
Learn More...
7121 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2011  2:14 pm  Show Profile Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was collecting these before they became popular.
I used to purchase them but for less than face value
Then the world discovered Gold and now they are good for bullion
West Point coinage there are more than just American eagles in the world.
For a good return on your money in gold you can purchase
Eagles - USA
Maple Leafs - Canada
Nuggets - Australia
Krugerrands - South Africa
Philharmonics - Austria

As for the Australian $200 gold pieces
remember this many of the gold plancerts use in the US come from Australia
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2011  2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found only two on eBay at that size, this one below for only $900 (for some guy I have never even heard of), but hey FRREEEEE shipping, yeah !

http://cgi.ebay.com/1987-Australian...em3caa8723bd

Or the ol Koala at $500 total Canadien, or $506 American....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-Australian...em43a58c9075
Edited by Silverhawk74
06/28/2011 2:58 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05