Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How much silver can you take on the plane from the USA

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Cyprus
349 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2011  07:06 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ozzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi folks,

I was wandering if there are any restrictions on how much silver/gold coins you can take with you on the plane from the USA.

If tax is added on top then can you get tax refunds at the airport?

Are there any limits on how much cash you can take in to the USA?

Best regards,
Ozzie

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2011  08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add emh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe there is, you are just limited by weight as you will probably want to carry it with you. Also if you are carrying more than a face value of $10,000 you have to declare it on a form. If you fail to do so, either the country you are flying to or the U.S can remove the amount over $10,000 and you probably will not get it back. You would also run the risk of being detained for questioning and potentially missing your flight.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8873 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2011  10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are carrying a lot of gold, you can attract a lot of attention, some of it official, some of it unofficial, legal or illegal.

I like to travel with as little of value as possible. Bit of a problem if you are a coin dealer, for instance, travelling to a show.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2390 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2011  11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if you have silver or gold, you have to empty your pockets and it goes through metal detector and an astute TSA agent will raise their eyebrows if there is a lot of it in the bin. One time I have a roll of halves in my pocket (as spending money) and I get questioned about it, heavily searched as a result
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2011  12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AlmostCollectible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just so you know, any valuable stuff can get stolen from your checked in bags in some countries, even though only official people are handling them.

Better to have it with you in you carry on so you can keep an eye on it, and to declare it.

Also not 100% sure, but I think most countries don't have a problem with you carrying stuff out, they are more interested in what all you are bringing in from elsewhere, so that they can tax you for it.
Edited by AlmostCollectible
05/17/2011 12:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2011  8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also not 100% sure, but I think most countries don't have a problem with you carrying stuff out, they are more interested in what all you are bringing in from elsewhere, so that they can tax you for it.

Yep... or throw you in jail and confiscate whatever it is that has offended their sensibilities.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2011  11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is why I don't fly anymore.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05