Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889 Morgan Dollar - clashed - doubled -?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2011  8:24 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bullitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I recently purchased a 1889 P Morgan silver dollar. It looks odd as in different. I have some "clashed" coins. I have some "double" stamped - yet this is different.

There seems to be a clean clear impression/highlight surrounding the out side of her face all the way back to her bonnet.

She also appears to be of the "Hot lips type" -
Then off the top tip of her eye lash looks like a point or V shape.
Traveling under her chin to where it meets the top of her neck - there's a spike looking projection.
The base of the M seems to melt away and the center lines don't engage.
At the bottom of her bonnet there is two projections - one V shaped - open end facing bonnet.
Above that appears sort of a lightening bolt object.
The stars seem almost sunk in at the out edges - they all appear sort of squished flat as well - but lumpy.
The 1889 is clean and clear - yet appears to also be highlighted and the bases look doubled.
I will be posting photo's - my camera is not the best - any help/info would be helpful - I am considering having it graded because it appears so unusual and uncleaned/uncirculated.

Thanks for your opinions. .

Edited by bullitt
05/19/2011 8:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2011  03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
need better pictures of what you are seeing..please don't make them so angled...and in focus...1889m is a tough year at best...your pictures look well basined...concaved but it could just be your pics..
Pillar of the Community
United States
1258 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2011  06:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ceylon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF.

As aladin said need better pics.

From the looks of it -- The coin does have a unique look.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2011  12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die is sunken...... other coins struck by this die will look similar/the same..... determine the VAM, and you may be better armed to make the decision about encapsulation...
Edited by zeewool
05/20/2011 7:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
954 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2011  12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Becky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2535 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2011  11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, I see what appears to be clashes behind Anna's neck, you have expressed some clashed sounding marks, behind her neck, out of her neck, etc, if someone could post a Morgan dollar overlay I am sure things would be clearer to understand.
I also see the ( as mentioned above ) sunken perimeter of the coin, the stars and date seem sunken, very nice looking feature, not common, yet not uncommon. I would ask is there an apparent clash mark in the form of a line on the reverse from the eagle's right wing going up to the letters "IN" I would venture there would be one as you have explained the clash from her neck, which this directly explains that clash.
I hope you see a overlay and it explains some of the "marks" you spoke of, good luck, Mike. PS, I see in the Morgan/Peace forum here where you posted this topic there is another topic about Morgan dollar overlays, there is aa picture in that topic that is an overlay, check it out!
Edited by morgans dad
05/24/2011 11:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2011  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See if this overlay helps.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2011  10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Or better yet, check out this post here on CCF titled morgan overlay

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=88669
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2011  10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die Clash overlays
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2011  8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
check your coin with VAM3 on VW descriptions, Might just be a winner!post a picture there perhaps a member there has one to verify..
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05