Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Commemoratives and Non-Circulating Coinage (NCLT)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

What does it mean when a coin is described as Piedfort?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Australian coin
Pillar Of The Community
1244 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  09:18 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I seen a coin described as "piedfort"
What does this mean and how can you tell if a coin is piedfort.

*** Edited by Staff to clarify topic title. Titles are important! ***

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1064 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JackB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen a Piedfort silver Maple Leaf coin, from 2010. I think the term can also apply to any heavy, special medallion, like a commemorative.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1570 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Piedfort
A term that means "double thick," it usually refers to French coins that were made in a double thickness to signify double value.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2732 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
on the left of this screen, and up a bit, you'll see a link to "Glossary" - and a very handy link it is !
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11060 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, "piedfort" are double-thickness coins, struck for collectors. The glossary doesn't tell you how to pronounce it. It's a French loanword and usually pronounced in the French fashion, something like "P.A.4" - three syllables, with the "D" and "T" silent.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
1244 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4249 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently sold a number of these double thick .925 sterling silver proofs from the UK Royal Mint here though the SELL section.
I did not know this was the term until now.
Yes, I have double thick crowns and such like this yet in my collection and the certificate says Piedfort. Heck, I thought Piedfort was someplace in Wales or Scotland? Thank you,
Edited by TheNickelGuy
05/25/2011 11:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2011  02:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AlmostCollectible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it helps to see it:

Pillar Of The Community
1244 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2011  04:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cool pic
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05