Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing paint from Colorized coins.

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2011  9:38 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

so the exact coin in question is one of these

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=36922

I picked one up today at my coin shop for $.50 over spot, same as all generic rounds / damaged ASEs.

one of the employees and myself discussed the possibilities of removing the paint from the coin. I couldn't think of anything short of acetone. but I do not think that would work on these.

Anyone have any experience/ideas on removing paint from these? Since this is a bullion coin to me, I don't mind experimenting a bit for the educational gains.

Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2011  10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Funny Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
high power pressure washer?
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2011  10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimineez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no matter what you do, you'll do the coin a favor!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2011  11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd probably move right to the Xylene (goo be gone type stuff). That will lift that crap over time even if it's a week soaking in a tinfoil covered glass bowl. Shouldn't bother the silver at all really.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2011  11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add michaeln1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeash....that is one ugly flippin coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol well if I can find a way to do it, my dealer said he would be grateful. :D

Im gonna start with An acetone soak. then ill move on to a xylene and see what happens.

Any other ideas to try?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add michaeln1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a furnace and a whole lotta heat? (Sarcastic of course).
Learn More...
United States
6513 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
michaeln1306

I have always found a wire brush works best

(disclaimer: that was sarcastic, do not use a wire brush)

disclaimer #2: I have 2 colorized coins: one is a statehood quarter of GA and I just liked the design, the other is like the OP shows and its just bullion which I got close to spot price
Edited by Fuzzy317
06/02/2011 12:43 am
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lee8775 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert by any means. But I have always been told that cleaning of a coin in anyway diminishes the numismatic value of the coin. So I would think that removing a paint from a coin with drastic types of stuff like acetone soaks would greatly diminish the coins value.
Learn More...
United States
6513 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  01:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
many coin collectors considered a colorized coin as PMD with a lower value anyway
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good Acetone bath and nothing else.

Or I'd just sell it. Even if you could clean it off do you really wanna keep it?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12786 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Furnaces use to much fuel. A Butane Torch would be a better choice.

Quote:
high power pressure washer?

Problem is who would hold it?

Quote:

I have always found a wire brush works best

(disclaimer: that was sarcastic, do not use a wire brush)

WHY NOT? Works well on coins all the time. If a Brass wire wheel, makes the coins look new.
I seriously wonder if Laquer thinner would work.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add christian_cyclist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I second the acetone. How about the paint stripper that looks like a clear gel? That stuff can burn your skin if you don't wear gloves though.

-- Boris
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  11:27 am  Show Profile Check Mach1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Mach1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think an acetone soak will remove the paint just fine. There aren't many paints that could stand up to acetone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GO:

I bought to try it, got it for melt, can't go wrong. If I cant get it off, I will probably sell it for a non trashed Bullion piece.

I think I will try tonight when I get home.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11116 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2011  11:48 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have always been told that cleaning of a coin in anyway diminishes the numismatic value of the coin.

That is typically true but bullion Silver Eagles do not really have much numismatic value. Besides that, the paint would kill any numismatic value regardless.

Quote:
with drastic types of stuff like acetone soaks

Nothing drastic about acetone at all, it is frequently used for coin conservation. It is a volatile organic solvent that will remove some surface contaminants but it is not chemically capable of reacting with silver under normal circumstances.

ANA R-3151318
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05