Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Half dollar box ,which is better Federal reserve box or bank

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2011  10:41 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Tinofet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi .

I am wondering where you guys had more luck with half dollar coins .

So far I got 3 box`s from Chase and they all had rolls rolled in white paper that seems to come from chase .
Though no chase indication on it .

On all of them I found ZIP .

I read somewhere online ( cant remmber where ) that there are different boxes that comes from the Federal Reserve .
Those box`s in the site had a different look with like small holes on it on the top and the rolls looked different .

So to my questions :

1. Is a bank box better or one from the reserve ?
2. Is the box`s from the reserve have the same coin in all rolls ?
3. What is the avarge percent to find something from your experience ?
4. Is there a better bank you recommend to order the box`s from ( im from TX )

you help and experience will be appreciated

Pillar of the Community
United States
1961 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2011  11:31 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost no bank gets boxes from the federal reserve, they all get them from cash logistics companies such as brinks or gardia. If the logistics companies do not have sufficent coin on hand to deliver to a particular bank, they will order additional coin from their local federal reserve branch and then deliver said coin to the particular branch that is ordering. Generally the only bank branches that will order coin directly from the fed are small banks, and in all my years as a roll searcher or bank teller I've never seen a bank that has.

The key to searching is volume. You may have 10 boxes in a row that produce next to nothing and then the 11th box will produce a full foll of 90%. Without searching massive amounts of halves the search becomes unproductive. Its very common to see someone search through 3 boxes and find nothing, if however you searched through 10 boxes without finding a single silver half than I would agree with you to switch source banks. The actual bank you order from has nothing to do with where the half dollars came from, its the logistic company. If the next bank you go to uses the same logistic company as the chase you currently go to, then your still going to be getting the same half dollars that you would if you ordered from chase.

A long time roll searcher will have skewed advereges because the majority of their finds will come from a select few of boxes. The majority of the silver I've found has come from 5 boxes, 3 of which I ordered at once. For example I dont even bother keeping track of my silver adverge for half dollars anymore because it would be utterly skewed by this http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...&whichpage=1

-From a former bank teller,
XoG
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
United States
746 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2011  11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wrestling_135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Xavier. I have gone through about 20 boxes of halves. The first 5 I found ONE silver. The 6th box I found 10 silvers. The rest I found a maximum of ONE silver per box. It's sad to think half of my collection came from ONE box :(
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2011  11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think XOG nailed it.

I've been doing dimes lately(NF String and Son rolls)and out of three boxes I've searched since yesterday I've gotten 5.

Pillar of the Community
United States
687 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2011  01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RollHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The key to searching is volume

This bears repeating. The only "trick" to roll hunting is volume.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8837 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2011  09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And if your dump bank uses the same logistics company as your source bank eventually your source will be supplying you with your own rewrapped rejects.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2011  09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tinofet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101 :

To avoid such a situation I follow this methood.

Order coins from Chase / Texans credit union .
Every time ( 3 so far ) I am ordering from a different bank and branch .
Hopefully to fall on a different source or better box`s .

I also tried to order the current box`s every time from a different city and two separate counties .
My assumption was the scatterer I am the better ( until I actually find something )

To return them I use captial one .
They have a free sorting machine and I use them to dump .
Edited by Tinofet
06/08/2011 09:53 am
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tinofet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went over another box yesterday .
No luck there , but I did found a very nice CAMO .

Do those add any value ?
Even if not I really like this one its looks great , I will upload pictures later
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05