Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

The hype behind pre-1960's Nickels

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
wulffy11
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  11:03 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wulffy11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Many people will hold onto a Nickel they find minted before 1960. Many nickels before 1960 are worth the same as some of the ones after 1960. Is it more of a mental mark than anything else? I find it interesting that I will instantly save one myself if I ever come across one. Does it have to do with the fact that most pennies before 1960 are Wheat, and people have the same mentality with Nickels thinking it's especially old if it is before 1960. Mintage numbers don't do anything drastic immediately before 1960. Can anyone explain the hype behind that. I get excited when I see a nickel before 1960. Perhaps it is the simple supply-and-demand that it's old and people seek them.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3197 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
probably because the coins are over 50 years old. I save all denominations of coins that are that old. yes pennies would be wheats, and dimes/ quarters would be silver... but nickels are still 50 years old even if there is nothing too special about them.
Oldest Coins Found in Circulation:
Cent: 1907 Indian (roll)
Nickel: 1916 Buffalo (roll)
Dime: 1926 Mercury (roll)
Quarter: 1941 Washington (bank tray)
Half: 1946 Walking Liberty (bank tray)
Dollar: 1971 Ike (bank tray)
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a generational thing. The 60's are when woodstock happened, and vietnam and the greatest music in the history of our country. It seems like forever ago to today's generation. It may not seem like that long ago to the folks that have been collecting awhile but I imagine that a few grandfathers here (not necesarily old by any means), maybe even "greats", tell their grandkids about the good 'ol days, when silver circulated freely in our cash registers.
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wulffy11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I even saved a nickel tonight that was 1960 (just my 7'th one in 5 years) because I knew it was considerably lower minted than the 1960-D.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're on the mark with the Wheaties theory--the idea that any coin minted in the pre-Lincoln-memorial period is going to be worth something extra, even if that "extra" means just a bit of nostalgia. I know that I have always collected pre-1960 nickels as well as wheaties--I have tubes all made up for them.

After all, you're not going to find any other coins that old in circulation any more except for pennies and nickels.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biged239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a 1960 will be 100 years old one year before a 1961. And in a 100 years there want be very many I don't think. I believe all metals will be salvaged for other things in the future. You already see people buying Buffalo nickels for the nickel. You will see copper being salvaged. And I believe you will see all metals have a salvage value and coins will have to be made out of something else. Sorry got off topic.
IMHO Big Ed
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many coins that are over 100 years old, that aren't worth more than a couple bucks in circulated condition !
Let alone Pre-1960 Jeffersons.
So........there IS that glaring fact ! ....

But I do the same thing...... I save em'.
Problem is though, that if you're an avid coin roll searcher (which I am), you would wind up with a MASSIVE inventory of these nickels for no real purpose.
So, I kind of just stopped trying to save em' all, and just keep the "BU" ones that I come across, these are MUCH harder to find ! (and could be worth more than a nickel someday !) ....
Edited by eaglefoot
06/24/2011 3:26 pm
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20364 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not understand the hype behind pre-1960 nickels since I keep all nickels.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1185 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  4:37 pm  Show Profile Check seal006's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add seal006 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wulffy11,

The 1960 nickel is like number 44 or 45 on the list when put in order of mintage numbers from least to most. Other than the 2009-P and 2009-D there are no other post 1960 nickels that have less. So to many, they are worth saving. Heck, it only cost you a nickel to save one.
"If Free Speech stops when someone gets offended, it is not really Free Speech."
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LastGold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have just begun saving nickels. I save everything 1961 and earlier because thats where the Whitman book ends (1938-61) for book 1 Jeffersons. Just recently, I have become aware that some of the Jeffersons 82 through 86 apparently, are scarce in good MS states.

So now I save anything 61 and older, all the 2009's and anything blazing BU, and all 1982 through 86's down to about MS 62... (as well as all "full step" coins pre 1980...

There is more opportunity in nickel roll searching than I originally thought!
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
3927 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no hype IMHO ... 1960 just seemed to me to be a logical cut-off date for what to track and save ... no true reason behind it because many (most) of the pre 1960 coins have zero numismatic premium above face value.

So far after 247,200 nickels searched I have amassed 3,253 nickels older than 1960 ... some have value above 5 cents ... most do not ... but I enjoy saving them and they can always be spent if needed.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add captainkurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about hype but I like um! I like finding them, searching for them, and collecting rolls of them. As with all my circulation finds, I hope to have a date/mint roll set completed one day of the highest graded coins I can find.
Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I save them so I can give them to my children so they can put a collection from scratch. Will mix them with others and have my kids eventually search them.
Valued Member
United States
349 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My son and I do not collect all pre-1960 nickels nor do we understand why others do. Personally, we wish people would not because it sucks EVERYTHING out of circulation.

We only save the following nickels:

1. Liberties, Buffalos, and Silvers
2. Any Jefferson with a mintage under 15 million
3. And finally, the 1938 P
Valued Member
United States
349 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2011  11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to add that we each have four of the Whitman 1938-1961 nickel holders which we also save.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
602 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2011  12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I save all nickels that I get in change. Mostly because the metal value in them is more than 5 cents, even though you can't cash them in. It doesn't matter. But any nickel before 1960 is put in a different bin. I know circulated ones aren't worth any more for most dates. It is mostly because they are old and that has a certain allure.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05